WBCS Question Paper – Prelims – 2018
180. Green revolution in India has taken place through district-wise execution of
(a) IADA(Intensive Agricultural District Programme)
(b) IAAP(Intensive Agricultural Area Programme)
(c) IADA and IAAP
(d) None of the above
140. In India the maximum area is covered by the
Laterite soil Red Soil Black Soil Alluvial Soils
138. The Summer monsoon normlly arrives in the South Bengal during
1-5 June 5-10 June 10 – 15 June 15-20 June
139. Which state of India experiences the maximum annual variation of rainfall ?
Meghalaya Kerala Rajasthan West Bengal
146. Shifting cultivation ‘ is not practiced in which of the following states ?
Assam West Bengal Odisha Andhra Pradesh
147. Which of the following crops witnessed the maximum rate of increase of production due to the Green revolution in India ?
Wheat Rice Oil seeds Maiza
148. In terms of value of agricultural production in the most important cash crop in India is
Cotton Oil Seeds Sugarcane Tobacco
114. The largest area under wasteland in India is in :
(A) Uttar Pradesh (B) Madhya Pradesh (C) Rajasthan (D) Gujrat
(A) Insurgency (B) Shifting cultivation (C) Urbanization (D) Rapid population growth
124. Which one of the following states in India has higher percentage of tank irrigation ?
(A) Tamil Nadu (B) West Bengal (C) Kerala (D) Karnataka
134. Dry farming is possible because of
(A) Utilisation of groundwater potential (B) Introduction of quick maturing and resistant varieties of millets
(C) Improvements in technology (D) All of the above
148. Cotton is best grown on black lava soils called.
(A) Regur (B) Lateritic soils (C) Regolith (D) Rangamati
151. Topographical sheets are produced by the Survey of India office with headquarters at
(A) Mussorie (B) Shimla (C) DehraDun (D) Naini Tal
198. Green Revolution was confined to
(A) Rice in West Bengal (B) Cotton in Maharashtra
(C) Wheat in Punjab and Haryana (D) Oil seeds in Andhra Pradesh
110. Soil erosion is most alarming in —— littoral state of India.
(A) Kerala (B) Tamil Nadu (C) Odisha (D) Karnatak
114. Copious rain in the northern coast of Tamil Nadu in October-November are due to
(A) The South East Trade winds (B) Retreating Monsoon (C) Westerly Depression (D) Occlusion
124. Which of the following problems is not encountered in the Indira Gandhi Canal command area ?
(A) Increase in soil salinity (B) Progressive waterlogging
(C) Aeolian setting of the canal (D) Decline in water supply
36. Cyclones of the Bay of Bengal are common during the :
(A) Early monsoons
(B) Late monsoons
(C) Winter season
(D) Summer season
50. The principal controlling factor of the Indian monsoons is the —
(A) Jet stream (B) Temperature (C) Presence of the Himalayan Mountains (D) Lower air circulation
71. Cotton production is highest in the state of — (2nd Gujrat)
(A) Maharashtra (B) Gujarat (C) Andhra Pradesh (D) Punjab
75. Endemic plants are those which grow in —
(A) Fresh water lakes (B) Shady places (C) On other plants (D) Geographically limited areas
77. Sugar-cane production is highest in the state of –
(A) Uttar Pradesh (B) Maharashtra (C) Tamil Nadu (D) Andhra Pradesh
93. Spraying of DDT in crop plants produces pollution of —
(A) Air only (B) Air and soil only (C) Air, soil and water only (D) Air and water only
147. Green Revolution occurred first in —
(A) Punjab and Haryana (B) Bihar and West Bengal
(C) Andhra Pradesh and Tamil Nadu (D) Gujarat and Maharastra
178. El Nino in the Pacific-
(A) Increases monsoon rainfall over India (B) Decreses monsoon rainfall over India
(C) Increases cyclones over Bay of Bengal (D) Decreses cyclones over Bay of Bengal
182. Lateritic soil of India are –
(A) Rich in iron (B) Rich in humus (C) Rich in basaltic lava (D) Rich in Uranium
186. The Black soil of Maharastra are called –
(A) Regolith (B) Khadar (C) Regur (D) Bhabar
104. Which of the following soils is favourable for cotton cultivation ?
(A) Red Soil (B) Regur (C) Alluvial Soil (D) Laterite
149. —— are the second major source of irrigation in Indi
(A) Wells and Tubewells (B) Canals (C) Tanks (D) Oceans
183. ‘Andhis’are storms of
(A) Punjab (B) West Bangal (C) Assam (D) Uttar Pradesh
50. When do the south-west monsoon winds blow in India ?
(A) January-February (B) March to mid-June (C) Mid-June-September (D) October to December
56. The most ideal region for the cultivation of cotton in India is
(A) The Brahmaputra Valley (B) Indo-Gangetic Plain (C) Deccan Trap Region (D) Rann of Kutch
77. “Which of the following parts of India produces nearly three-fourth of the total quantity of tea ?
(A) Northern India (B) South India (C) North-East India (D) North-West India
199. Cotton in India grows best on
(A) Lateritic soil (B) Alluvial soil (C) Black soil (D) Terai
31. _____ are the 2nd major source of irrigation in India. (Tubewell-48%, Canals-26%, wells-19%)
(A) Well (B) Canals (C) Tanks (D) Oceans
42. Which one of the following is the AGMARK related to?
(A) Agricultural Products (B) Gems and Jewellery (C) Capital Goods (D) None of the above
58. Consumption of chemical fertilizer is the highest in
(A) Punjab (B) Andhra Pradesh (C) Assam (D) Gujarat
64. The Green Revolution in India has contributed to
(A) Inter-regional inequality (B) Inter-crop inequality (C) Inter-class inequality (D) All of above
137. In India food grains occupy __________ of the total cropped area.
(A) 76 % (B) 65 % (C) 80 % (D) 85 %
148. Rain in cold weather, season is due to
(A) Nor’westers (B) Western disturbances (C) Cold waves (D) Arabian Sea depressions
164. The most salient feature of rainfall pattern in India is
(A) its deficiency (B) seasonability (C) spatiality (D) copiousness
108. Khadar is not _______
(A) Calcareous (B) Younger (C) Flooded (D) Anushilan
140. Amount of annual rainfall is above 200 cm. over—of India’s total area.
(a)11% (b) 21% (c) 37% (d) 15%
44. Where is saffron cultivated in India?
(A) Dun Valley. (B) Chambal Valley (C) Karewa Terrace (D) Duars Plain
181. Which of the following States grows sugarcane as a major crop?
(A) Bihar (B) Rajasthan (C) Uttar Pradesh (D) Punjab
130. ln the dry regions of West Rajasthan, rainfall is below
(A) 20 cm (B) 30 cm (C) 50 cm (D) 10 cm
169. Green Revolution has led to marked increase in
(A) Productivity of wheat (B)Regional inequalities (C)Inter personal inequalities (D) All of the above
180. Pineapple is grown on an extensive scale at
(A) Terai Plain (B) Shillong Plateau (C) Tripura Highland (D) Uttaranchal
184. Which of the following area is famous for pearl fishing?
(A) Tuticorin (B) Kandala (C) Kochi (D) Pondicherry
89. Where in India are grapes grown on commercial scale? (1st – maharastra, 2nd – Karnataka)
(A) Parbati Valley (B) Tista Valley (C) Andhra Plateau (D) Rarth Plain.
112. The present cereal production of India is around million tons
(A) 160 (B) 180 (C) 200 (D) 235 (2014-15)
126. Calicoes stood for Indian
(A) Indigo (B) Cotton (C) Spices (D) Textile
140. What is the most widely cultivated fruit in world?
(A) Banana (B) Apple (C) Guava (D) Grapes
155. Green Revolution was most successful in the (introduction of high-yielding varieties of seeds 1965)
(A) Sixties (B) Seventies (C) Eighties (D) Nineties
158. Which of the following area is famous for pearl fishing
(A)Tuticorin (B) Kandala (C) Kochi (D) Pondicherry
34. The number of drought-Prone districts of peninsular India is (266 district in India 2015-16)
(A) 40 (B) 45 (C) 50 (D) 55
153. The state which jeads in the area under tank irrigation is (Karnataka highest)
(A) Tamil Nadu (B) West Bengal (C) Orissa (D) Andhra Pradesh
158. The HYV miracle rice is raised only on
(A) 10% (B) 11% (C) 12% (D) 10.2% of India’s paddy land
172. The region which leads the world in sugar production is
(A) South Asia (B) South-East Asia (C) West Indies (D) U.S.A.
108. Alluvial soils of Ganga Plainns are genetically
(A) zonal (B) Azonal (C) Intrazonal (D) None of the above
114. Bedland topography is characteristic of
(A) Chambal Valley (B) Teesta Valley (C) Sundarbans (D) Ranns
116. Laterite soils are formed due to
(A) Removal of silicates, lime and organic matter (B) Decaying of roganie matter
(C) Disintergration of lava (D) Exfoliation
118. The percentage of irrigated land on India is about (now about 50%)
(A) 45 (B) 65 (C) 35 (D) 25