WBCS Question Paper – Mains – 2018
122. What should be the proportion of forest cover for India to maintain ecological balance?
124. Where is the Bandipur National Park
(B) Andhra Pradesh
125. Where is the Forest Research institute located?
128. World’s maximum newsprint paper comes from
(A) Deciduous forest
(B) Monsoon forest
(C) Mangrove forest
(D) Rain forest
128. The Gir Forest is noted for its
(A) Lion sanctuary
(B) Deer Park
(C) Tiger sanctuary
(D) Crocodile Park
29 When was the first National Forest Policy issued by the Government of India?
130. Namdhapa National Park is in
(D) Arunachal Pradesh
131. Which wildlife sanctuary has the project to conserve the rhinos in India?
133. Where was the first Bio-reserve established in India?
(C) Nilgiris (1986)
136. Which is the best known bird sanctuary in Haryana?
137. Which of the following Cities in India is considered as greenest?
138. Biosphere Reserve of India, Nanda Devi (UNESCO) is located in the state of
(D) Himachal Pradesh
139. Bandhavgarh National Park is located in which state?
(B) Madhya Pradesh
152. A tropical deciduous plant special to the Deccan plateau is
(6) Sal .
182. Where arc the Saltora Ranges located?
(B) Along the Vindhyas
(C) Part of the Karakoram Ranges
(D) Pan of the Western Ghat
184. Which part of the Himalayas has the maximum stretch from east to west?
(A) Kumaun Himalayas
(B) Assam Himalayas
(C) Punjab Himalayas
(D) Nepal Himalayas
186. Naga, Khasi and Garo hills are located in
(A) Purvanchal Ranges
(B) Karakorarn Ranges
(C) Zaskar Ranges
(D) Himalaya Ranges
187. Nathu La, a place where India-China border trade has been resumed after 44 years is located on the Indian border in
(B) Aruriachal Pradesh
(C) Himachal Pradesh
(D) Jammu & Kashmir
189. Baltora glacier is located in
(A) Karakoram ranges
(B) Pamir plateau
193. The Deccan trap was formed by the
(A) Dharwar Vulcanicity
(B) Mesozoic Vulcanicity
(C) Cretaceous Vulcanicity
(D) Palcozoic Vulcanicity
195. Guru Shikhar on the Abu Hills is the highest peak of which mountain ranges?
198. Palghat joins which of the following states?
(A) Sikkim and West Bengal
(B) Maharashtra and Orissa
(C) Kerala and Tamil Nadu
(D) Arunachal Pradesh and Sikkim
199. Central Highlands of Indian peninsular block are formed of
(A) Sedimentary and metamorphic rocks
(B) Igneous and sedimentary rocks
(C) Igneous and metamorphic rocks
(D) Sedimentary rocks
200. Which Himalayan peak is also called ‘Sagar Matha’?
(A) Nanga parbat
(C) Mt. Everest
WBCS Question Paper – Mains – 2017
111.The headquarters of the Forest Survey of India is located in
(B) New Delhi
112. Which one of the following is not a wood from the Himalayan forests ?
114. Which one of the following states has the maximum forest cover compared to its total area ?
(D) Arunachal Pradesh
118. Tropical wet evergreen forests are found in
(A) the Andaman-Nicobar islands
(B) the Assam valley
(C) the Chotanagpur plateau
(D) the Lesser Himalayan region
121. Which one of the following Biosphere Reserves in India is not correctly matched ?
(A) Nanda devi – Uttarakhand
(B) Namdhapa – Assam
(C) Gulf of Mannar – Tamil Nadu
(D) Nokrek – Meghalaya
145. Mangrove vegetation in India is the most extensive in
(A) The Rann of kutch
(B) The Malabar Coast
(C) The Andaman and Nicober Islands
102. ‘Pat Lands’ are found in
(A) Malwa Plateau
(B) Bundelkhand Uplands
(C) Chotanagpur Plateau
(D) Maharashtra Plateau
117. Most of the highest peaks of the Himalayas are located in
(A) the Trans Himalayas
(B) The Central Himalayas
(C) the Middle Himalayas
(D) the Outer Himalayas
119. The Eastern Ghats and The Western Ghats meet at the
(D) Paini hills
125. The foot hill areas of the Himalayas are called
(A) Basic Himalayas
(B) Southern Himalayas
126. The ‘Deccan Trap’ cannot be found in the state of
(D) Tamil Nadu
129.The earliest rock formation in India can be found in
(A) the Deccan plateau region
(B) the Himalayan region
(C) the Ganga-Brahmaputra plain region
(D) the Deltaic region
131. ‘Jelep La’ is a mountain pass located in
(C) Arunachal Pradesh
132.The Mt. Everest is located in
(A) Sub-Himalayan region
(B) Lesser Himalayan region
(C) Greater Himalayan region
(D) Trans-Himalayan region
159, ‘Syntaxial bend’ is associated with
(A) the origin of the Himalayas.
(B) deep gorges of the Indus and the Brahmaputra.
(C) formation of the Tapi valley.
(D) Rajmahal Gap.
168. ‘Sagarmatha’ in the Himalayas is also known as
(D) Mt. Everest
WBCS Question Paper – Mains – 2016
98. The highest peak of South India is :
(A) Annamalai hill
(B) Palini hill
126. Which one of the following is not correctly matched ?
(A) Dhupgarh : Satpura
(B) Panchmarhi : Mahadev
(C) Dodagiri : Nilgiris
(D) Mahendragiri : Estern Ghats
141.The Garo, Khashi, Jainto hills were formed in the same age as
(B) Malwa Plateau
(D) Himachal Range
152. The Peninsular Plateau of India extends to
(A) Mizo hills
(B) Himachal Himalayas
(C) Meghalaya hills
(D) Assam valley
167. Which one of the following mountain range is latest in its origin ?
(A) Greater Himalayas
168. The oldest mountain range of India is
183. Zojila is a pass between (NH -1)
(A) Kashmir valley and Laddakh
(B) Lahaul vally and Spiti
(C) Chumbi vally and Sikkim
(D) Arunachal Pradesh and Tibet
189. Baralachala pass is in (Leh–Manali Highway)
(B) Uttar Pradesh
(D) Himachal Pradesh
191.Saramati is the highest peak of
(A) Naga (B)Aravali
(C) Himalaya (D) Nilgiri
199.The highest peak of India in Himalayan range is:
(A) Mt. Everest
(B) Nanda Devi
65. The mangrove forests are found in
(A) Western Ghat
(B) Eastern Ghat
(C) Deltaic region of Krishna and Godavari
(D) North-East Himalaya
108.Moist Tropical Evergreen forests are found in
(A) the Deccan Plateau
(B) the Shillong Plateau
(C) Southern States
(D) the Siwaliks
153. Which one of the following is not correctly matched ?
(B) Shivpuri-Madhya Pradesh
(D) Corbett National Park-Uttaranchal
185. In which state silent valley is located ?
(A) Tamil Nadu
195. The largest reserve of Sal forests is found in
(A) Eastern Peninsula
(B) Nilgiri hills
(C) Dehradun valley
160.Dandkaranya Project is situated in
(A) Tamil Nadu
(C) Madhya Pradesh
WBCS Question Paper – Mains – 2015
17. Western Ghats in Maharashtra is known as –
(b) Cardamom Hills
18. The upliftment of the Himalayas was first initiated during the period of-
(a) Middle Pliocene
(b) Middle Oligocene
(c) Middle Eocene
(d) Middle Miocene
19. Structurally, the Great Himalaya is –
(a) an autochthonous zone
(b) A par-autochthonous zone
(c) An allochthonous zone
(d) A Suture zone
39. Which one of the following is most prone to earth quake ?
(a) High hill-tops
(b) Young folded mountain
(e) Oil shields
(d) All of the above
40. The highest peak of the Himalayas in India is in:
(a) Uttar Pradesh
(d) Himachal Pradesh
44. The typical area of ‘Sal’ forests in the Indian Peninsula occurs
(a) On the Western Ghats
(b) Between the Tapti and the Narmada
(c) To the North-East of Godavari
(d) On the Malwa Plateau
12. Among the following States, which one has the largest forest area?
(d) Tamil Nadu
15. Which one of the following does not belong to biosphere reserves set-up so far?
(a) Great Nicobar
(c) Nanda Devi
(d) Gulf of Kachch
16. Reserved Forest is a forest-
(a) Totally under Government control
(b) Meant mainly for tribal people
(c) Earmarked for commercial exploitation with restricted grazing
(d) With wild life protection
47. Which Sanctuary’ in Kerala is known for elephants ?
WBCS Question Paper – Mains – 2014
51. The Hindustan Tibet Road connecting Shimla with Gartok in Western Tibet passes through —
(a) Shipki La pass
(b) Zoji La Pass
(c) Thaga La pass
(d) Jelep La pass
53. The Zaskar is one of the main ranges of
(a)The great Himalayan Systems
(b) The Trans Himalayan Systems
(c) The Central Himalayan Systems
(d) The Middle Himalayan Systems
63. ‘Silent Valley’ is located in
(c) Himachal Pradesh
71. Wildlife Protection Act was passed in
(a) 1970 (b) 1972
(c) 1980 (d) 1986
65. Which one is not a component/part of Social Forestry?
(a) Urban forestry
(b) Agro forestry
(c) Commercial farm forestry
(d) None of the above
66. Which one is not an objective of the social forestry?
(a) Securing revenue
(b) Improving aesthetic values
(c) Reduction of environmental pollution
(d) To reduce pressure on the traditional forest areas
67. In which year the first Forest Policy of independent India was declared?
(a) 1950 (b) 1951
(c) 1952 (d) 1956
69. The Little Rann of Kutch is the only home of the
(a) Great Indian Bustard
(d) Indian Wild Ass
64. Kudremukh National Park is located in
(b) Tamil Nadu
(d) Andhra Pradesh
68. In India, which type of forest among the following occupies the largest area?
(a) Tropical Moist Deciduous (37%)
(b) Montane Wet Temperate
(c) Tropical Dry Deciduous
(d) Tropical Wet Evergreen
70. The Shola grass lands are found in
(a) The Himalaya
(b) The Vindhyan
(c)The western Ghats
(d) The Eastern Ghats