22. If the ratio of cost price and selling price is 25 : 26, then what is the percentage of profit ?
23. There is some loss if an article is sold at Rs.120. There is same amount of profit if the article is sold of Rs.140. What is the cost price of the article ?
24. A man sold a stove for Rs.423 and incurred a loss of 6%. At what price should it be sold so as to earn a profit of 8% ?
25. A man sold an article at a gain of 5%. Had he sold it for Rs.240 more, he would have gained 8%. Find the cost price of the article.
(A) Rs. 7000
(B) Rs. 9000
(C) Rs. 8000
26. The ratio of manufacturing cost of two sharies is 2 : 5. If the first shari is sold at 15% profit and the second shari is sold at 18% profit then the manufacturer makes a total profit of Rs.396. Find the cost of manufacture of each shari.
(wrong question or options)
27. A book seller allowing 12% discount on the marked price of a book made a profit of 10%. What will be his percentage of profit if he sells the book at the marked price ?
28. A trader sold a bicycle at a profit of 10%. Had he bought the bicycle at 10% less price and sold it at a price Rs.12 more, he would have gained 25%. What is the cost price of the bicycle ?
29. A businessman blends Assam tea costing Rs.70 per kg with Darjeeling tea costing Rs.110 per kg in the ratio 3 : 1. What should be the selling price per kg of the new mixture to have a profit of 121/2% for him ?
(A) Rs.100 per kg
(B) Rs.90 per kg
(C) Rs.110 per kg
(D) Rs.80 per kg
30. There is a loss of 11% if an article is sold.at Rs.178. At what price should it be sold to make a profit of 11% ?
(A) Rs. 200
(B) Rs. 220
(C) Rs. 222
(D) Rs. 226
31. A retailer getting a discount of 20% on the marked price sells an article at the marked price. Percentage of profit of the retailer is
32. A fruit seller purchased banana at Rs.30 per dozen and sold each pair at Rs.7. What is the percentage profit or loss at this ?
(A) 20% profit
(B) 20% loss
(C) 40% profit
(D) 40% loss
33. Selling a radio at Rs.363.75 there was a loss of 3% of a radio seller. At what price should he sell the radio to make a profit of 10% ?
34. A businessman purchased 35 kg of pulse at Rs.525 and sold each kg at the rate Rs.18. What is his percent of profit or loss at this ?
(A) 20% loss
(B) 20% profit
(C) 25% profit
(D) 25% loss
35. A hawker purchases some mangoes at the rate of 9 mangoes for Rs.5 and sells them at Rs.8 per dozen. What will be his profit or loss percentage ?
(A) 20% loss
(B) 25% profit
(C) 25% loss
(D) 20% profit
36. A businessman sold an article at a loss of 15%. Had he sold the article at Rs.100 more he would have gained 10%. At what price did he sell the article ?
37. In what ratio should the Assam tea at Rs.40 per kg and Darjeeling tea at Rs.65 per kg be mixed and sold at Rs.60 per kg to make in overall profit of 25% ?
(A) 1 : 2
(B) 2 : 1
(C) 3 : 2
(D) 17 : 8
38. A milkman mixed water with 60 litres of pure milk and sold the mixture at the cost price thereby made a profit of 25%. Find the quantity of water in the mixture.
(A) 12 litres
(B) 15 litres
(C) 10 litres
(D) 14 litres
39. A Shoe maker sold two pairs of shoes at the same price. In the first pair he makes a profit of 20% and in the other pair he makes a loss of 20%. What is his percentage of profit or loss in the whole business ?
(A) 3% Loss
(B) 8% Profit
(C) 5% Profit
(D) 4% Loss
40. Paban incurred 10% loss by selling lemon at Rs.18 per dozen. At what price should he sell each dozen of lemon to make a profit of 10% ?
41. There is 25% profit if an article is sold at Rs.150. At what per cent should the selling price be increased so that there will be 30% profit ?
WBCS Main Question Paper – 2018
4. Babu have made 4% loss by selling 12 toffees at Rs.5. How many toffees he would sell at Rs. 10 to get 28% profit ?
18. A boy recorded the weight of some of his friends as 32kg, 30kg, 40kg, 65kg, 54kg, 38kg, 36kg, 45kg, 50kg, 52kg, 40kg. What is the median ?
(A) 38 kg
(B) 40 kg
(C) 45 kg
(D) 43.8 kg
19. The number of coconuts plucked from each tree is 1 more than the number of coconut trees in Anil’s garden. The total number of coconut plucked is 132. The total number of coconut trees in the garden is
20. It has been seen in a survey of a region that 70 persons read English newspaper, 73 persons read Bengali newspaper and 64 persons read both the papers. If 63 persons do not read any paper on how many people the survey has been done ?
24. Total expenses of a hostel are partly constant and partly vary directly as the number of boarders. When the number of boarders are 120 and 100 the total expenses are Rs. 2000 and Rs.1700 respectively. Find the total number of boarders if the total expense is Rs. 1880.
28. The sum of three consecutive multiples of 3 is 72. What is the largest number ?
31. A merchant has 1000 kg of sugar, part of which he sells at 8% profit and the rest at 18% profit. He gains 14% on the whole. The quantities sold at 18% profit is
(A) 400 kg
(B) 560 kg
(C) 600 kg
(D) 640 kg
32. If the cost price of 12 pens is equal to the selling price of 8 pens, the gain percentage is
(D) 66 2/3%
49. A cricket team won 3 matches more than they lost. If a Win gives them 2 points and Loss (-1) point, how many matches, in all, have they played if their score is 23 ?
50. Free books were distributed equally among children of a class. The number of books each child got was one-eighth of the number of children. Had the number of children been half, each child would have got 16 books. How many books were distributed in total ?
59. If an amount of Rs.84,105 is distributed equally amongst 35 children. How much amount would each child get ?
(D) None of the above
75. Total price of 6 shirts and 7 trousers is Rs.4,130 while that of 4 shirts and 9 trousers is Rs.4,270. Find out the price of 3 shirts.
82. Rohan appeared for the Global Talent Search Examination wherein 4 marks are awarded for every correct answer and 1 mark is deducted for every wrong answer. Rohan attempted all the 60 questions and secured 130 marks. What would have been his score if there was no negative marking ?
84. It costs Rupee 1 to photocopy a sheet of paper. However 2% discount is allowed on all photocopies done after first 1000 sheets. The discount increases to 5% for all photocopies exceeding 2500 sheets. How much will it cost to copy 5000 sheets of paper ?