WBCS Preliminary Question Paper – 2019
6. Select the right answer:
My watch is five minutes _______.
7. Fill in with suitable conjunction:
He advanced ______ he could.
(C) as far as
8. I am sure I ______ him before.
(A) have met (Present Perfect Tense)
(C) had met (Past Perfect Tense)
(D) will meet
9. I _______ him for a long time.
(A) have known
(C) had known
(D) should have known
20. Fill in with the appropriate word :
The jury ______ divided in their opinion.
(C) have been
21. Fill in the blank with the suitable option :
Let’s meet _____ next week.
(C) some time
(D) some times
22. Choose the right option to rewrite the sentence :
No sooner ______ the sun risen than the fog disappeared.
24. He entered the hall in the _____ part of the show.
Which is the right answer ?
WBCS Preliminary Question Paper – 2018
1) Fill in the blank with the correct word :
________ his humiliation, he attended the function.
(a) In spite
(b) Not withstanding
(d) As of
3) Use a suitable Auxiliary Verb to fill in the blank space:
In all probability it ______ rain tonight
4) Fill in the blank with the correct word :
She had better ______ the room
6) Fill in the blank with the appropriate word :
She liked the ______ plan better
7) Fill in the blank with the correct word:
A ______ bow was seen in the sky.
10. Insert a correct Participle in the blank space:
_____ about dinner, John ran the whole way home.
(a) Having finished
(c) Had been excited
12) Insert the correct Adverbial Phrase in the blank space:
Only ______ is there a rumble in the sky
18) Fill in the blank with the appropriate infinitive:
______ is human
(a) To laugh
(b) To err(make a mistake, be wrong)
(c) To read
(d) To save
WBCS Preliminary Question Paper – 2017
1. Fill in the blank with the correct word:
_________ he was late, he come home by nine.
2. Fill in the blank with the correct word:
The river was ________ the bank.
3. Fill in the b lank with the correct word:
A ________ jewel was in the locker.
4. Put in a correct participle in the blank space:
The car was ____ down the slope.
(d) having arrived
5. Insert correct word in the blank space:
Finish your task in a _____ manner.
6. Use suitable auxiliary verb to fill in the blank space:
You _____ catch the train at once.
7. It is easy _____ but hard to finish.
(a) to end
(b) to fall
(c) to lose
(d) to begin
8.Here is the man ____ you asked _____.
(a) whom, about
(b) that, for
(c) for, from
(d) this, for
9. The man _____ briefcase was lost, reported to the police.
WBCS Preliminary Question Paper – 2016
1. Put in a correct participle in the blank space.
The sea _______, we went for sail.
(a) being rough
(c) being kind
(d) being smooth
2. He talked to his horse ______ the horse could understand his grief.
(a) as though
(b) with a feeling that
(c) feeling that
3. This is the ______ Post Office to my house.
4. I can’t walk any _________.
(b) further(more distant)
5. She ______ sit for hours listening to the wireless.
6. Fill in the blank with an infinitive:
______ is worth ambition.
(a) To borrow
(b) To reign(be king/queen)
(c) To repent
(d) To cry
7. He is here, ______ is fortunate.
8. The _____ door awakened the dog.
9. Weather _______, there will be a garden party at Government House tomorrow.
WBCS Preliminary Question Paper – 2015
1. Mary _____, we were freed from anxiety.
(d) Being arrived
2. Do this in a short time, in a ______ manner.
3. ______ his illness, he attended the function.
(a) In spite
(c) As of
4. The stream was ______ by the waterfall.
(b) Fed up
5. A _____ star was seen in the sky.
(c) Shunting to
6. Mother says, “You ______ to go to the market at once”.
7. ________ fault is easy
(a) to begin
(b) to bury
(c) to read
(d) to find
8. You had better _____ permission.
9. Who ______ saw her did not pity her?
10. The sun, _____ rays give life to the earth, was regarded by the ancients as a god.
WBCS Preliminary Question Paper – 2014
1. The last _____ will be performed by members of the family only.
(c) Rite(ceremony, ritual)
2.He would always _______ the police.
(a) elude(escape, avoid)
3. You should _______ her case as a precedent.
(b) cite(quote, refer to)
WBCS Preliminary Question Paper – 2013
1. The banquet-hall is ______ decorated to celebrate the occasion.
60. He came of his own _____
(c) Accord(correspond, agree, pact, treaty)
62. The street is not properly ______
(c) Illuminated(light, light up)
63. The ____ structure of Tajmahal makes it one of the wonders of the world.
64. He was penniless when the bank failed and declared himself _____
65. The child proved himself _____ by his behavior and was expelled from the school.
(a) Ill-bred(bad-mannered, rude)
WBCS Preliminary Question Paper – 2012
56. A clever man sweeps his family scandals under the _______
WBCS Preliminary Question Paper – 2011
49. He came of his own ______.
50. The fruit was juicy and ______
(a) Succulent(pulpy, soft)
51. The _____ structure dwarfed alI the surrounding buildings.
(b) Imposing(impressive, eye-catching)
52. Her _____ ways captivated many young men.
(d) Winsome(appealing, charming)
53. The thieves _____ through the cupboards searching for valuable articles.
54. The _____ of the farmland was enough to sustain the small family.
55. The ______ fumes of vehicles pollute the air.
(a) Noxious(poisonous, toxic)
44. He is so _____, nothing move him.
(b) Nonchalant(calm, cool)
45, The dish was ______ with herbs.
WBCS Preliminary Question Paper – 2010
1. It is usual nowadays to blow one’s own ______ to impress others.
2. A lame duck organization is one which needs ____
3. The man who follows his nose actually follows his _____
(c) Instinct(natural tendency)
6. The _____ of the place attracts many ascetics.
7. The street is not properly ______
WBCS Preliminary Question Paper – 2009
39. I had _____something wrong as soon as I reached the spot.
40. Tagore’s birthday was _____ with songs and recitation.
41. The mother ____ the child.
(a) Deserted(abandon, leave)
(c) Ran away
WBCS Preliminary Question Paper – 2008
36. The young politician’s speech was full of blood and _____
(d) Thunder(speak loudly)
37. He held out an olive branch to his ____
38. A barber shaves; a gardener ______
(d) Prunes(cut back, trim, cut-off)
WBCS Preliminary Question Paper – 2007
32. After one week’s continuous fever, the relatives of the patient became _____ about the mode of treatment.
(c) Apprehensive(worried, concerned)
33. We all _____ an unknown danger before us.
(d) Apprehended(understand, realize)
34. This method is not wrong; but there may be a more _____ method than this.
35. The Republic Day was _____ with due solemnity.
WBCS Preliminary Question Paper – 2005
19. Don’t judge a book by its ______
20. Deeds are better than _____
21. Don’t count your chickens before they are ______
22. The money a man receives during the year is considered his _______
23. Jesus of Nazareth illustrated religious concepts by means of _____
(d) Parables(moral story, lesson)
24. Judgment was passed on the murderer and he was duly ______
25. The road was completely ____ by a fallen tree.
26. A hostile crowd tried to _____ the Chairman from delivering his speech.
27. The administrator could not make up his mind about this ____ point.
WBCS Preliminary Question Paper – 2004
14. The building does not _____ to safety regulations.
(d) Conform(comply with rules, standards)
15. He made a ____ promise in front of the temple.
(c) Solemn(serious, dignified)
16. We do not have words strong enough to condemn such a foul and ____ act of murder.
17. In company we must always be ____
18. A _____ of savages attacked in the explorer.
(b) Horde(crowd, mob)
WBCS Preliminary Question Paper – 2003
10. Doctors of medicine are among the most _____ members of American Society.
(a) Affluent(wealthy, rich)
11. The _____ are not always cowards.
(d) Righteous(good, decent)
12. His ______ attitude when we are on a holiday is very annoying to me.
(d) Parsimonious(mean, miserly)
13. The ancient people used to _____ their ancestors.
(b) Venerate(respect, worship)
WBCS Preliminary Question Paper – 2002
15. The thief disappeared in a _____
16. The odds against us were indeed ______
WBCS Preliminary Question Paper – 2001
7. He was too late, as _____ would have it.
8. I _____ my letter last evening.
(b) Have finished
(c) Had finished
(d) Had been finished
9. You may safely use _____ drugs.
(c) Innocuous(harmless, safe)
WBCS Preliminary Question Paper – 2000
9. That he should disappear like seems hardly _____
10. The storm began _______
(a) At the drop of a hat
(b) On the quick
(c) In the sudden
(d) All of a sudden
11. Many changes of climate are the result of ______
(a) Global heating
(b) Universal warming
(c) Global warming
(d) Universal heating
WBCS Preliminary Question Paper – 1999
1. I _____ my motherland heartfelt gratitude for what I am today.
(b) Am indebted
2. The whole district was _____ due to heavy showers.
(c) Inundated(flood, overflow, submerge)
3. When I asked him he ______ to tell the truth.
4. I cannot disobey him as he is ____ to me.
(d) More qualified
5. I shall not go ________
(a) Unless you go
(b) Without you do
(c) Except you do
(d) Despite you do
Fill in the Blanks