Answer & Video Explanation are given in the end of every year questions.
(B) R is brother of T.
(C) Q is daughter of S.
WBCS Preliminary Question – 2019
1. Select the lettered pair that has some relationship as the original pair of words printed in the bold:
Poverty : Prosperity
(A) Love : Sorrow
(B) Train : Cart
(C) Rain : Flood
(D) Intelligence : Stupidity
2. ln a certain code, BREAKTHROUGH is written as EAOUHRBRGHKT. How is DISTRIBUTION written in that code ?
3. Observe the dots on a dice (one to six dots) in the following figures. How many dots are contained on the face opposite to that containing four dots ?
(D) Cannot be determined
4. Count the number of squares:
5. How many triangles are there in the following figure ?
Choose the best alternative as the answer
6. A camera always has
7. A river always has
9. A man has a certain number of small boxes to pack into parcels. If he packs 3, 4, 5 or 6 in a parcel, he is left with one, if he packs 7 in a parcel, none is left over. What is the number of boxes he may have to pack ?
10. Arrange the following items from general to particular:
(A) (i), (ii), (iii), (iv), (v), (vi)
(B) (i), (iii), (v), (iv), (ii), (vi)
(C) (i), (iv), (iii), (ii), (v), (vi)
(D) (i), (v), (iv), (ii), (iii), (vi)
11. Arrange the following in a meaningful sequence :
(A) (ii), (iii), (i), (iv), (v)
(B) (ii), (iii), (iv), (i), (v)
(C) (iv), (iii), (i), (ii), (v)
(D) (v), (i), (iv), (iii), (ii)
12. If A > B, B > C and C > D, then which of the following conclusions is definitely wrong ?
(A) A > D
(B) A > C
(C) D > A
(D) B > D
13. If ‘<‘ means ‘minus’, ‘>’ means ‘plus’, ‘=’ means ‘multiplied by’ and ′$′ means ‘divided by’, then what would be the value of 27 > 81 $ 9 < 6 ?
14. How many 3s are there in the following sequence which are neither preceded by 6 nor immediately followed by 9 ?
9 3 6 6 3 9 5 9 3 7 8 9 1 6 3 9 6 3 9
15. In the following series, how many such odd numbers are there which are divisible by 3 or 5, then followed by odd numbers, and then also followed by even numbers ?
12, 19, 21, 3, 25, 18, 35, 20, 22, 21, 45, 46, 47, 48, 9, 50, 52, 54, 55, 56
16. How many such letters are there in the arrangement each of which is either immediately preceded by a symbol or immediately followed by a number, but not both ?
17. How many meaningful words can be made by changing only the consonants in the word MEAN so that each of the consonants is replaced by the previous letter in the English alphabet, by using each letter only once in each word ?
18. If the first and third letters in the word NESSARY were interchanged, also the fourth and the sixth letters, and the seventh and the ninth letters, which of the following would be the seventh letter from the left ?
19. Arrange the following words according to dictionary arrangement:
(A) (i); (ii), (iii), (iv), (v)
(B) (iii), (ii), (v), (iv), (i)
(C) (iii), (v), (ii), (i), (iv)
(D) (v), (iv), (ii), (i), (iii)
20. The sum of the incomes of A and B is more than that of C and D taken together. The sum of the incomes of A and C is the same as that of B and D taken together. Moreover, A earns half as much as the sum of the incomes of B and D.
Whose income is the highest ?
21. If ROME is written as MORE, then DARE is written as
22. Choose the odd one :
23. Igloos : Canada : : Rondavels : ?
WBCS Preliminary Question – 2018
1. There are six books A, B, C, D, E and F. B, C and E have blue covers while the rest have red covers. D and F are new books while the rest are old books. A, C and D are law reports while the rest are of physics. Which is the red covered new law report book?
2. If, + stands for division; x stands for addition; – stands for multiplication / stands for
subtraction, which of the following equation is correct?
(a) 36 + 6 – 3 x 5 / 3 = 24
(b) 36 x 6 + 7 / 2 – 6 = 20
(c) 36 / 6 + 3 x 5 – 3 = 40
(d) 36 – 6 + 3 x 5 / 3 = 74
3. If 73429186 denotes PURCHASE and 54064 denotes ORDER , then what will 7452688 denote?
4. Find the odd one out:
5. Six persons are seated around a hexagonal table. Arup is seated opposite Bela, who is between Chirag and Derek. Arup is between Ela and Farook. Ela is to the left of Derek. Which of the following pairs is facing each other?
(a) Ela and Farook
(b) Derek and Ela
(c) Chirag and Ela
(d) Chirag and Derek
6. A is the father of B, C is the brother of A, F is the sister of B. If M is the father of A, Then establish relationship between F and C.
(a) Daughter and Father
(b) Husband and Wife
(c) Brother and Sister
(d) Niece and Uncle
7. (i) Tom, Dick and Harry are intelligent
(ii) Tom, Brown and Jack are hard working
(iii) Brown, Harry and Jack are honest
(iv) Tom, Dick and Jack are ambitious
Which of the following person is neither hardworking nor ambitious?
8. Which of the following is the correct order?
(a) 2.2 < 2.02 < 2.002 < 2.222
(b) 2.002 < 2.02 < 2.2 < 2.222
(c) 2.02 < 2.22 < 2.002 < 2.222
(d) None of the above
9. If DEVICE is coded as BAREXA and ORNATE is coded as ZVMESA, what VIDEO be coded as ?
10. Coins : Mint : : Bricks : ?
11. 8 persons A,B,C,D,E,F,G and H are sitting by a round table each facing the centre. D is second to the left of F and third to the right of H. A is second to the right of B and F is third to the right of B, G is not an immediate neighbor of F. in the above information who is to the immediate left of A?
12. A clock fixed on the wall shows a time of 4.25.The time shown by its image on a plane mirror fixed to the opposite wall will be
13. One evening before sunset two friends Ajoy and Amal were talking to each other face to face. If Amal’s Shadow was exactly to his right side, which direction was Ajoy facing?
(d) None of the above
14. Point out the letter which represents Indians and Historians but not politicians on the basis of these three circles?
(c) b and f
(d) b and g
15. By how many straight lines the figure is formed?
16. If, in year 2000, birthday of Netaji be Wednesday, what was the Independence Day in that year?
17. Tanushree is a dancer. Dancers are young Ladies.
(a) All young ladies are dancers.
(b) All dancers are young ladies.
(c) Tanushree is not young and hence not a dancer.
(d) Tanushree is young lady dancer.
18. If, Squint : Eye, then Squeeze : ?
WBCS Preliminary Question – 2017
1. Five boys are sitting in a row. Kajol is sitting in between Piyush and Paresh while Gogol is sitting in between Ronnie and Piyush. Who is sitting at the extreme right of Gogol ?
2. Five boys are so standing that they form a circle. Rahim is between Ajoy and Tom. Salman is to the left of Bablu and Ajoy is to the left of Salman. Who is to the right of Bablu ?
3. If a ÷ b means ‘a to be added to b’ and a x b means ‘a to be divided by b’, then the value of
(14 ÷ 7) ÷ (14 x 7) is
(A) No value
4. Choose the odd one
5. If MASON is codded as NBTPO, then WORLD is coded as
6. If BOY is coded as ZPC, then GIRL is coded as
7. If ⊕ b = L.C.M. of a and b, a ⊗ b = G.C.M. of a and b, then
(12 ⊗ 16) ⊕ (24 ⊗ 36) = ?
8. The 6th term in the following series
ab2 + bc2 + cd2 + de2 + ……..
9. Manipuri is to Dance as Urdu is to _______ .
10. Number : Mathematics :: Notes : ?
11. A man starts from his office and goes 8 km East. Then he turns to the left and walks for 3 km. Again he turns left and walks for 8 km. At what distance is he from the starting point ?
(A) 5 km
(B) 4 km
(C) 6 km
(D) 3 km
12. P is sister of Q. .Q is the wife of R. S and R are brothers. What is P to R ?
13. A goes to a party hosted by his brother B. B has a daughter C. C has a brother D. What is D to A ?
(C) No relation
14. Hockey : India : : Baseball : ?
WBCS Preliminary Question – 2016
1. Among the six persons A, B, C, D, E, F there are three married couples of which A, C, E are husbands ; B, C, D are cousins and B is not wife of A. Then husband of B is –
2. There are 15 chairs in a row. Positions of P is at the middle, Q is at 12th position counting from the right. How many chairs are there in between P and Q ?
3. In a family, there are six members A, B, C, D, E, F. A and B are married couple. D is the only son of C. A is father of E, who is granddaughter of F, whose husband has died and C is brother of A. How many male members are there in the family ?
4. In a certain code KOLKATA is coded as 11151211012001. How BENGAL is coded ?
(D) None of the above
5. If CABLE is coded as XZYOV, a possibility code of YZXP is –
6. How many 9’s are sandwiched between 6 and 7 in
7. The 4th term of the following alphabet series
ZXYW, VTUS, RPQO, _____ , JHIG is
8. A man started walking towards south. After moving 4 km he turned towards east and walked 6 km. Again he turned towards north and walked 12 km. How far he is from the starting point ?
(A) 18 km
(B) 14 km
(C) 10 km
(D) 22 km
WBCS Preliminary Question – 2015
1. If the sequence of the alphabets is reversed which of the following would be the 14th letter from your left ?
(D) None of the above
2. Paint : Artist :: Wood : ?
3. acme : mace :: alga ?
4. In a certain code ‘CONTRIBUTIOR’ is written as ‘RTNOCIROTUB’. How is ‘PROHIBITION’ written in that code ?
5. If ‘CAT’ and ‘BOAT’ are written as ‘XZG’ and ‘YLZG’ respectively in a code language how is ‘EGG’ to be written in the same language ?
6. If water is called black, black is called tree, tree is called blue, blue is called rain, rain is called pink and pink is called fish in a certain language then what is the colour of sky called in that language ?
7. A man walks 3 km northwards and then turns left and goes 2 km. He again turns left and goes 3 km. He turns right and walks straight. In which direction he is walking now ?
8. Three of the following four are alike in a certain way and so form a group. Which is the one that does not belong to that group ?
9. One morning after sunrise Bikram and Shailesh were standing in a lawn with their back towards each other. Bikram’s shadow fell exactly towards left-hand side. Which direction shailesh was facing ?
10. In an examination Raj got more marks than Moti but not as many as Meena. Meena got more marks than Ganesh and Rupali. Ganesh got less marks than Moti but his marks are not the lowest in the group. Who is second in the descending order of marks ?
(D) None of the above
11. If EARTHQUAKE is coded as MOGPENJOSM tlhen EQUATE will be coded as
12. If COUNTRY is coded is certain in certain way as EMWLVPA, ELECTORATE will be coded in the same manner as
13. ‘Pencil’ is to ‘Write’ as ‘Knife’ is to
14. Pointing to a photograph of a girl, Rajan said “She has no sister or daughter but her mother is the only daughter of my mother.” How is the girl in the photograph related with Rajan’s mother ?
(B) Grand daughter
(D) None of the above
15. An application was received by inward clerk in the afternoon of a weekday. Next day he forwarded it to the table of the senior clerk, who was on leave that day. The senior clerk next day evening put up the application to the desk officer. Desk officer studied the application and disposed of the matter on the same day, i.e., Friday, Which day the application was received by the inward clerk ?
(B) Earlier week’s Saturday
16. Select the correct option in place of the question mark.
AOP, CQR, EST, GUV, ?
17. ‘Stammering’ is to ‘Speech’ as Deafness is to
18. What should come in the place of (?) in the given series ?
ACE, FGH, ? , PON
19. Three of the following four are alike in a certain way and so form a group. Which is the one that does not belong to that group ?
20. Fill in the missing letter in the following series
S, V, Y, B, ?
21. Select the one which is different from the other three.
WBCS Preliminary Question – 2014
1. M is the son of R Q is the granddaughter of O. who is the husband of P. How is M related to O ?
2. A, B, C, D, E and F are sitting around a round table. A is in between E and F, E is opposite to D and C is not in either of the neighbouring seats of E, Who is opposite to B ?
(D) None of the above
3. Q’s mother is sister of P and daughter of M. S is daughter of P and sister of T. How is M related to T ?
(D) Either Grandmother or Grandfather
4. In a row of boys, Syamantaka is 7th from the left and Venkat is 12th from the right. If they interchange their positions, Syamantaka becomes 22nd from the left. How many boys are there in the row ?
WBCS Preliminary Question – 2013
1. A man walks 7 km towards East, then he walks 2 km towards South. He then turns towards left and walks 1 km. Finally he takes turn towards left again and walks 17 km How far he is now from the starting point ?
(A) 17 km
(B) 18 km
(C) 20 km
(D) 27 km
2. If A + B means A is mother of B, A – B means A is brother of B and A x B means A is sister of B, then P – M + N x Q means —
(A) P is uncle of Q
(B) P is brother of Q
(C) P is nephew of Q
(D) None of the above
3. Complete the following letter number series :
B2E, D6H, F14K, H30N, ?
4. In a certain code “MUSIC” is written as ‘XVQYW and “USAGE” is written as ’ VQZJF, then how can “CAUSE” be written in the same code ?
5. P is mother of X who is wife of Z. Y is brother of P and Q is husband of P. How Q is related to Z ?
6. If RESCUE = 372057 and PROBLEM = 9348176, then PROCURE = 7
7. If P denotes ‘+’ , R denotes ‘x’ , Sdenotes ‘-‘, and T denotes ‘÷’ , then what will be the value of 5R9P7S9T3P6 ?
8. If 16 + 2 = 16, 20 + 4 = 40, 24 + 8 = 96 then 15 + 6= ?
9. Find the missing term :
EGI, JLN, OQS ?
10. A is taller than B and C is taller than D. If B is not shorter than C, then who is the tallest ?
WBCS Preliminary Question – 2012
1. How many 9s are sandwiched between 6 and 7 in 696996676979669779667
2. A man walks 10 metres in front and 10 metres to the right. Then every time turning to his left, he walks 5, 15 and 15 metres respectively. How far is he now from his starting point ?
(A) 10 metres
(B) 5 metres
(C) 15 metres
(D) 20 metres
3. In a certain code KOLKATA is coded as 11151211012001. How BENGAL is coded ?
(D) None of the above
4. 6 boys are so standing that they form a circle, each facing the centre. Alok is to the left of Probhat, Sunil is between Ashok and Bikash. Hari is between Alok and Ashok. Who is left of Hari ?
5. If CABLE is coded as XZYOV, a possible decode of YZXP is :
6. Radha is younger to Sunita but elder than Rita. Rita is elder than Geeta. Sham is elder to Rita But younger to Radha . Who is the youngest of all ?
7. There are two married couples in the family of six per sons, U, V, W, X, Y, Z. W is the wife of V and the mother of Z. X is the grandmother of U and the mother of V. Z is the granddaughter of Y. How many male members are there in the family ?
(D) Cannot be determined
WBCS Preliminary Question – 2011
1. What will be the angle between the two hands of a clock at 9.30 hrs. ?
2. If in a mirror a clock shows time as 12:40, then the real time is
3. 27 cubes of equal size have been placed in a way to form a single large cube. Then how many cubes will not be visible at all ?
4. P, Q, R, S are four positive numbers satisfying the condition P + Q > R + S, Q > S, P + R = Q, P + S = Q + R. Then the least and greatest numbers are
(A) P, Q
(B) R, Q
(C) P, S
(D) S, P
5. If 4 c 3 d 8 a 10 b 5 = 18, where a, b, c, d stand for four fundamental arithmetical operations of addition, subtraction, multiplication and division, but not necessarily in this order, then the value of 3 c 4 a 2 d 6 b 3 is
6. If ÷ stands for multiplication, x for addition, + for subtraction and – for division, then the value of 16 x 3 + 5 – 2 ÷ 4 will be
7. If EGIK = FILO, then FHJL = ?
8. Find the missing letter in the following series from the given alternatives :
G, H, J, M, __ , V,
9. If South-East becomes North and North-East becomes West, then the direction for East will be changed to
10. Given the Premises
(i) Human cannot live without atmosphere
(ii) The moon is without atmosphere
Then which of the following conclusions is valid ?
(A) Some men cannot live on the moon
(B) There is no life possible on the moon
(C) The man cannot live on the moon
(D) All of these
WBCS Preliminary Question – 2010
1. Which one of the following diagrams represents the sets of all human beings, swimmers and Indians ?
2. Using a bi-cycle, Ayan moves 2 km from A to D due west; then 8 km to B due east via A, and finally 8 km to C due north. His distance in km now from A is
3. If LALGARH is coded as MCOKFXO, then a possible code for ANDOLAN, is
4. 8 persons A, B, C, D, E, F, G and H are sitting by a round table each facing the centre. D is second to the left of F and third to the right of H. A is second to the right of F and an immediate neighbour of H. C is second to the right of B and F is third to the right of B. G is not an immediate neighbour of F. In the above information who is to the immediate left of A ?
5. The number in the position marked ‘?’ in the diagram is
6. If the day before yesterday was a Monday, the third day after tomorrow will be a
7. 3 positions of a six-faced die, with one of tne digits 1, 2, ……….. 6 marked on each face, are shown below :
What is the face opposite 2 ?
8. Which one of the following pairs of days may appear 53 times each in a leap year while all other days will appear 52 times each ?
(A) Sunday and Friday
(B) Wednesday and Thursday
(C) Monday and Wednesday
(D) Tuesday and Saturday
9. Suppose x * y = x + y, if x < y,
x * y = x – y + 1, if x > y,
x * Y = 2x – 1, if x = y
Then 5 * (6 * 2) + (5 * 6) * 2 =
10. If CAT = 356, COW = 398, DOG = 490 and RAT = 256, then a possible code for FOX is
11. C is A’s only daughter, and B and D are her only two brothers, Of the three grandsons E, G and M of A, E and M are only sons of B and D respectively, Of the three granddaughters F, H and N of A, H and N are only daughters of C and D respectively. Then B is G’s
(A) Maternal uncle
(B) Paternal uncle
12. A man, while facing east, turns twice in succession to his right; then turns thrice in succession to his left; finally he turns twice in succession to his right. The direction he is facing now is
13. Among Ashoke, Dibakar, Arun and Bratin, Dibakar is younger than Arun, Bratin is older than only Ashok. Who is the oldest ?
(A) Can’t be identified data incomplete