Skip to content
Islands in India – Andaman & Nicobar – Lakshadweep
- Major islands groups of India are Andaman and Nicobar Archipelago in Bay of Bengal and Lakshadweep islands in Arabian Sea.
Andaman and Nicobar Islands
- Andaman and Nicobar Island archipelago is composed of 572 big and small islands.
- These islands extend about 590 km area.
- Andaman and Nicobar Islands were formed due to collision between Indian Plate and Burma Minor Plate (part of Eurasian Plate).
- Andaman and Nicobar Islands are southward extension of Arakan Yoma range of Myanmar.
- Aarakan Yoma is an extension of Purvanchal Hills.
- Andaman islands are divided into three main islands
- North Andaman
- Middle Andaman
- South Andaman
- Duncan passage separates Little Andaman from South Andaman.
- Great Andaman separated by 100 Channel from the Nicobar group of islands.
- Port Blair, the capital of Andaman Nicobar Islands lies in the South Andaman island.
- Among the Nicobar islands, the Great Nicobar is the largest and southernmost island
- Great Nicobar island is very close to Sumatra island of Indonesia.
- 60 Channel separates Great Nicobar island and Sumatra.
- Most of these islands are made of tertiary sandstone, limestone and shale resting on basic and ultrabasic volcanoes
- Barren island is only active volcanoes in India and South Asia (erupted last time in 1994-95).
- Narcondam island is a dormant volcano.
- Saddle peak (737 m) in North Andaman is the highest peak here.
- Some islands are fringed with coral reefs.
- Many of them are covered with thick forests.
- Lakshadweep Islands are located at a distance of 280 km-480 km off the Kerala coast.
- The entire island group is built of coral deposits (Atoll), tiny islands and are surrounded by fringing reefs.
- There are approximately 36 islands of which 11 are inhabited.
- Minicoy is the largest island.
- The entire group of islands is broadly divided by the 110 channel, north of which is the Amini Island and to the south of the Canannore Island.
- Amendivi Islands are the northern most while the Minicoy island is the southernmost.
- Kavaratti is the capital of the Lakshadweep Island.
- Lakshadweep Islands are the northernmost of the Lakshadweep-Maldives-Chagos group of islands.
- 80 Channel forms the boundary between Minicoy and Maldive islands.
- This channel also known as Minicoy Channel or Maliku Kandu.
- Most of the islands have low elevation and do not rise more than five metre above sea level.
Some other Island of India
- Salsette Island
- Salsette is the most populous island in India.
- Mumbai city is located on Salsette island.
- Ulhas river and Vasai creek divided it from mainland.
- Sriharikota Island
- A barrier island in Bay of Bengal.
- Located in Nellore district of Andhra Pradesh.
- On this island Satish Dhawan Launch Station is located
- India’s first off-shore oil well site in the Gulf of Khambat.
- It is located in Gujarat, about 45 km from Bhavnagar.
- New Moore Island
- It in the Ganga delta.
- It is also known as Purbasha Island.
- In 2010, it was reported to have been completely submerged by the rising sea water due to Global warming.
- Pamban Island
- Also called Rameshwaram
- It lies between India and Sri Lanka and separated by Pamban channel.
- Wheeler Island
- It is in the Odisha coast
- Wheeler Island is a missile launching station in Bay of Bengal.
- UT of India, located in the Gulf of Khambat.