24. Instead of ‘tolerance’ we can say
WBCS Preliminary Question Paper – 2019
3. Fill in with the right phrasal verb.
The detective suddenly ______ a useful clue.
(A) gave in
(B) came across
(C) fill up
(D) fell down
WBCS Preliminary Question Paper – 2018
2. “Call up” means :
5. The girl ______ her mother
(a) takes after
(b) call in
(c) puts off
(d) puts by
11. The teacher will ______ a new chapter tomorrow.
(a) take over
(b) take up
(c) take down
(d) take off
WBCS Preliminary Question Paper – 2017
24. He wanted to ______ out.
25. There was no ______ in the rain.
(a) let up (decrease, diminish)
(b) let in
(c) let off
(d) let go
WBCS Preliminary Question Paper – 2016
23. In a moment of hurry, the files had been ______ by Hamilton.
(a) cast about
(b) cast out
(c) cast up
(d) cast aside(ignore, overlook, reject)
WBCS Preliminary Question Paper – 2015
22. There was a ______ on the midnight train.
(a) Hold up (delay, difficulty)
(b) Hold in
(d) Hold out
WBCS Preliminary Question Paper – 2014
19. They decided to _____ his number in the yellow pages
(a) Look into
(b) Look at
(c) Lookup (information in a reference book)
(d) Look onto
20. Fill in the blank with correct phrasal verb from the options provided below:
The boss simply could not __________ his inefficiency any more.
(a) put off
(b) put up with (tolerate, accept)
(c) put down
(d) put across
21. I will ______ her case as a precedent to my job until May.
(b) hold on
(c) hold in
(d) hold to
WBCS Preliminary Question Paper – 2013
18. His friend ______ his word much to his despair
(a) Went back on
(b) Went away from
(c) Went with
(d) Went in
61. They ‘laughed down’ the man means that they ______ the man.
(b) Laughed with
(c) Ridiculed and belittled
WBCS Preliminary Question Paper – 2011
1. We should ______ for a rainy day.
(a) Put down
(b) Put into
(c) Put something by(save for future use)
(d) Put things off
16. The thief ______ with the ornaments.
(a) Made away
(b) Made out
(c) Made off(take away, steal)
(d) Made up
17. The boys were ‘kept in’ after school means that the boys were _____
(c) Confined(restricted, limited)
WBCS Preliminary Question Paper – 2010
14. The evidence ______ with what one already knows.
(a) Ties in
(b) Sets in
(c) Gives in
(d) Goes down
WBCS Preliminary Question Paper – 2009
12. After much effort he could tide over the crisis.
(b) Win over
13. After a prolonged suffering he passed away.
(a) Went away
WBCS Preliminary Question Paper – 2008
11. After a promising start his career soon came to an end in a disappointing way.
(a) Roughed out
(b) Fizzled out
(c) Flaked out
(d) Rounded off
WBCS Preliminary Question Paper – 2007
10. After much resistance the robbers gave in to the police.
(c) Yielded(surrender, hand over)
WBCS Preliminary Question Paper – 2003
9. You cannot always go by appearances.
(d) Judge From
25. Poor nutrition in infancy can hold back physical growth.
(b) Retard(delay, slow down)
WBCS Preliminary Question Paper – 2001
8. I cannot make out what he wishes to say.
WBCS Preliminary Question Paper – 2000
1. The two boys fell _____ but soon become friends again
(quarrel, argue, fight)
2. I asked the slow worker to get a move _____
3. He put _____ some savings to support him in his old age.
7. “Lay off’ can mean to stop working and also
(a) To go on strike
(b) To leave alone
(c) To spread out
(d) To go to sleep
WBCS Preliminary Question Paper – 1999
1. As soon as January is over the days begin to draw out noticeably.
(c) Get longer
(d) Encourage to be less shy
2. Would you make out the bill, please ?
(b) Write or fill in forms, cheques etc.
3. This book is difficult to understand, and when I’m tired I can’t take in what the author means.
(a) Give accommodation to
4. I usually get through my salary by the middle of the month.
(b) Use up
(c) Cause to be approved of
(d) Help to contact
5. If you can hang on a second. I’ll look for my brother and tell him you’re on the phone for him.
6. We can put you up if you are staying in town overnight.
(c) Give accommodation
(d) Nominate as a candidate