April 4, 2020
Census & Demography – Geography – WBCS Main Question Paper
census of india mcq
WBCS Main Question Paper – 2019
1. _______ is the main occupation of the Toda tribe of southern India.
2. Lepcha, Assamese, Bhutia are types of language family.
(Assamese – Indo-Aryan, Lepcha & Bhutia – Sino-Tibetan)
3. ______ is a minority group in India who are followers of Zoroastrianism.
4. Many people of ______ state speaks Kinnauri.
(Kinnauri – Sino-Tibetan)
(A) Jammu and Kashmir
(B) Himachal Pradesh
(C) Uttar Pradesh
5. According to Census of India, 2011 the crude birth rate of the country is per thousand.
(B) 23.8 (as per WBPSC)
6. State of India has more females in number than males with a sex-ratio of 1084/1000 according to the Census of India, 2011.
(B) West Bengal
7. _______ state has the highest literacy rate among the north-eastern states of India.
8. According to the Census Department of Government of India, a class Ill urban place have a population between
(A) 10,000 to 19,999
(B) 20,000 to 49,999
(C) 50,000 to 99,999
(D) None of the above
23. The present habitat of tribe is mainly in the plateau regions of Bihar, Jharkhand, Orissa and West Bengal.
(D) None of the above
37. Kannad belong to ______ language group.
101. ______ is a tribe of north-east India.
105. According to the Census of India 2011, the child sex-ratio of India is
106. In the year _____ the first Census of India was conducted.
107. _____ census year recorded a negative growth rate of -0.31 in India.
45. The HDI of India for the year 2017 is
WBCS Main Question Paper – 2017
183. What will be the expected average age of an Indian by the year 2020 ?
(A) 24 years
(B) 29 years
(C) 34 years
(D) 39 years
186. The child sex ratio in India in the year 2011 was
196. Which one of the following Indian languages is included in Indo-Aryan group?
(C) Oriya/ Odiya
197. Kadars are the dwellers of
(A) Paini hills
(B) Nilgiri hills
(C) Anaimalai hills
198. The first census in India was held in the year of
199. Bulk of the Indian population is constituted by the racial group of
(A) The Proto Australoids
(B) The Mediterraneous
(C) The Mongoloids
(D) The Negritos
189. The number of villages in India is about
(C) 5 lakh
(A) 3 lakh
(B) 4 lakh
(D) 6 lakh
190. As per the census of India (2011) the state having the highest number of urban population is
(A) Uttar Pradesh
(B) Maharashtra (45.23%)
(C) Tamil Nadu (48.45%)
(D) West Bengal
WBCS Main Question Paper – 2016
58. Which of the following is the dominant type of migration in India ?
(A) Rural to Rural
(B) Rural to Urban
(C) Urban to Urban
(D) Urban to Rural
172. The tribes of central and southern India belongs to
(C) Brachy caphals
180. Population density of India as on 2011 is
(A) 372 person per square km.
(B) 382 person per square km.
(C) 392 person per square km.
(D) 352 person per square km.
WBCS Main Question Paper – 2015
3. The main occupation of the Gonds is
(a) Food gathering
4. Which one of the following Union Territories has the highest literacy rate?
(b) Dadar and Nagar Haveli
(c) Daman and Diu
(d) NCT of Delhi
6. Which one of the following states recorded the lowest literacy in 2011?
(a) Andhra Pradesh
8. Between 2001 and 2011, India’s population has increased by
(a) 161 Million
(b) 171 Million
(c) 181 million
(d) 191 Million
10. Arrange the literacy rates of the following States in descending order –
(a) a, b, d, c
(b) a, b, c, d
(c) a, d, b, c
(d) a, d, c, b
51. Which one of the following is most spoken Indo-Austric Language in India ?
(Santhali & Kharia – subfamily of Munda language)
(c) Munda (9-10 million)
52. Which of the following Scheduled Tribe has a dispersed core ?
53. Name the Five Year Plan (FY) in which the ‘Voluntary Sterilization Population Policy’ was introduced?
(a) 1st Five year Plan
(b) 2nd Five year plan
(c) 3rd Five year plan
(d) 4th Five year plan
54. The habitat of the Toda Tribe is —
(a) Aravalli range
(b) Siwalik range
(c) Kaimur range
(d) Nilgiri hills
55. Which one of the following States has the lowest percentage of Scheduled Tribes?
(a) Arunachal Pradesh
(b) Manipur (34.2%)
57. According to the census 2011, India has what percentage of the total population of the world ?
58. Which one of the following is not the part of the definition of a town as per the census of India ?
(a) Population density of 400 persons per Sq. km
(b) Presence of Municipality Corporation etc.
(c) More than 75% of the population engaged in primary sector
(d) Population size of more than 5000 persons
59. The Zones and Strata theory pertaining to the origin and diffusion of human races was propounded by
WBCS Main Question Paper – 2014
73. Which year is considered as a year of great divide in the demographic history of India?
(decennial growth -0.31%)
74. According to 2011 census, literacy rate in India is
(a) 64.83 percent
(b) 65.46 percent
(c) 74.04 percent
(d) 82.14 percent
75. Highest scheduled caste population is found in
(a) West Bengal
76. Which one of the following states has the lowest sex ratio in 2011?
(b) Haryana (877)
(d) Jammu and Kashmir
77. In 2011, the number of one million cities in India was
78. Which state or union territory of India has recorded the highest rate of population growth in the last census (2011)?