(Write the letter within 150 words and use X, Y, Z instead of name and address) 40
WBCS Main Question Paper – 2019
- (a) Write a letter to the Editor of a newspaper expressing your views on the problems caused by the Mushrooming of unplanned buildings rapidly in the city. Also suggest some measures to arrest this problem.
(b) Write a letter to your friend living in another country, describing the initiatives taken by you to spread awareness regarding the benefits of planting trees. 40
WBCS Main Question Paper – 2018
- a) Write a letter to a noted doctor whose practice is outside your city describing the nature of your ailment and seeking an appointment with him at his earliest convenience
b) Write a letter to the editor of a newspaper expressing your anxiety and concern about the increasing exodus of bright students from your country seeking academic and career opportunities elsewhere adding a suggestion on how this tendency may be arrested.
WBCS Main Question Paper – 2017
- Write a letter (within 150 words) to the editor of a newspaper on to what extent the use of animals in the scientific research acceptable.
WBCS Main Question Paper – 2016
- Write a letter to the editor of a newspaper describing the rising instances of rough behavior of taxi and auto drivers. Suggest remedies for the situation.
WBCS Main Question Paper – 2015
- Write a letter (within 200 words) to the editor of a newspaper on the ways and means of preventing the molestation of women and children in India.
WBCS Main Question Paper – 2014
- Write a letter to the editor of a newspaper on the excessive expenses incurred at sports events held in India (within 150 words)
Letter Writing Format
Pin – 700000
To The Editor
The Indian Express
NH6, Mouza – Prasastha & Ankurhati
Domjur, Howrah – 711 409
Subject : Mushrooming of unplanned buildings rapidly in the city
I am writing to you in order to highlight the problems caused by the Mushrooming of unplanned buildings rapidly in the city.
2nd Part – Topic explanation + Quotation
- Using quotation is good but not mandatory.
- We can use it within the writing.
- Don’t try to explain the quotation, use it to support the topic.
- Try some different and recent quotation from internet.
- Write in the support of the topic and explain topic in 1st part.
- Most of the time editorial letter talks about the problems faced by people in the society.
- Add some actual data to support your claims – current affairs will help you here.
- Govt. reports can be best source for data.
- Use 60 to 70 words here.
3rd Part – Show the Other Side
- This part will be negative part or contradictory part of 1st part.
- So, here we may write about the problems in the society or solutions.
- But it must show the opposite side than 1st part of the letter.
- If we are writing about any problem in society, then we will talk about the good things or solutions in 2nd part.
- Use 40 to 50 words.
4th Part – Visions & Conclusion
- How govt. or other organizations are supporting to overcome those problems – Mention 1-2 govt. schemes or visionary work.
- Give a future idea or your hope about future in 1-2 sentence.
- Conclude the total topic.
- Use 30 to 40 words.
- Last line example
- I request you to highlight the problem in your newspaper and arouse public interest. We all need to get together in order to get the solution on this matter.
- Be yourself, when writing …… but don’t try to establish your ego.
- We must be natural, and unbiased as a civil servant.
- So, try to show double side of the topic.
- Don’t try to copy from any book …….. It will match with other papers.
- So read newspapers for to know what types of words or writing skills are used in newspaper actually.
- So, try to be different ……Try to be stand out.
- Use simple words for writing ……….. Don’t try to be William Shakespeare.
- Under line the data part to help examiner to find out some reasons to give you good marks.
- You will have minimum 30 min to write the letter.
- Take your time to think proper sentence and write.
- You may write the letter as rough work, but if you have proper practice, you don’t need it.
- Show your best hand writing skill to impress examiner.
- So, write slowly, clearly and beautifully.