(Write the letter within 150 words and use A, B, C or X, Y, Z instead of name and address) 40
WBCS Main Question Paper – 2020
1. (a) write a letter to the Manager of a theatre enquiring about showing a movie to the children of a school in the afternoon.
(b) Last Sunday you flew from Delhi to Kolkata. on arriving home you discovered that you had left your cabin bag on the plane. write a letter to the Airline describing about the bag.
WBCS Main Question Paper – 2019
1. (a) Write a letter to the Editor of a newspaper expressing your views on the problems caused by the Mushrooming of unplanned buildings rapidly in the city. Also suggest some measures to arrest this problem.
(b) Write a letter to your friend living in another country, describing the initiatives taken by you to spread awareness regarding the benefits of planting trees.
WBCS Main Question Paper – 2018
1. (a) Write a letter to a noted doctor whose practice is outside your city describing the nature of your ailment and seeking an appointment with him at his earliest convenience
(b) Write a letter to the editor of a newspaper expressing your anxiety and concern about the increasing exodus of bright students from your country seeking academic and career opportunities elsewhere adding a suggestion on how this tendency may be arrested.
WBCS Main Question Paper – 2017
1. Write a letter (within 150 words) to the editor of a newspaper on to what extent the use of animals in the scientific research acceptable.
WBCS Main Question Paper – 2016
1. Write a letter to the editor of a newspaper describing the rising instances of rough behavior of taxi and auto drivers. Suggest remedies for the situation.
WBCS Main Question Paper – 2015
1. Write a letter (within 200 words) to the editor of a newspaper on the ways and means of preventing the molestation of women and children in India.
WBCS Main Question Paper – 2014
3. Write a letter to the editor of a newspaper on the excessive expenses incurred at sports events held in India (within 150 words)
Letter Writing Format
Pin – 700000
To The Editor
The Indian Express
NH6, Mouza – Prasastha & Ankurhati
Domjur, Howrah – 711 409
Subject : Mushrooming of unplanned buildings rapidly in the city
I am writing to you in order to highlight the problems caused by the Mushrooming of unplanned buildings rapidly in the city.
2nd Part – Topic explanation + Quotation
Using quotation is good but not mandatory.
We can use it within the writing.
Don’t try to explain the quotation, use it to support the topic.
Try some different and recent quotation from internet.
Write in the support of the topic and explain topic in 1st part.
Most of the time editorial letter talks about the problems faced by people in the society.
Add some actual data to support your claims – current affairs will help you here.
Govt. reports can be best source for data.
Use 60 to 70 words here.
3rd Part – Show the Other Side
This part will be negative part or contradictory part of 1st part.
So, here we may write about the problems in the society or solutions.
But it must show the opposite side than 1st part of the letter.
If we are writing about any problem in society, then we will talk about the good things or solutions in 2nd part.
Use 40 to 50 words.
4th Part – Visions & Conclusion
How govt. or other organizations are supporting to overcome those problems – Mention 1-2 govt. schemes or visionary work.
Give a future idea or your hope about future in 1-2 sentence.
Conclude the total topic.
Use 30 to 40 words.
Last line example
I request you to highlight the problem in your newspaper and arouse public interest. We all need to get together in order to get the solution on this matter.
Be yourself, when writing …… but don’t try to establish your ego.
We must be natural, and unbiased as a civil servant.
So, try to show double side of the topic.
Don’t try to copy from any book …….. It will match with other papers.
So read newspapers for to know what types of words or writing skills are used in newspaper actually.
So, try to be different ……Try to be stand out.
Use simple words for writing ……….. Don’t try to be William Shakespeare.
Under line the data part to help examiner to find out some reasons to give you good marks.
You will have minimum 30 min to write the letter.
Take your time to think proper sentence and write.
You may write the letter as rough work, but if you have proper practice, you don’t need it.
Show your best hand writing skill to impress examiner.
So, write slowly, clearly and beautifully.
You cannot copy content of this page