wbcs ancient india questions
WBCS Preliminary Question Paper – 2020
(A) it is known as significant trading centre between Central Asia and Tibet.
(B) the original text of the Vedas was composed there.
(C) inscription found here mention the names of Vedic Gods and Goddesses.
(D) None of the above
78. Which among the following places has given the earliest evidence of agriculture in Indian Subcontinent?
(A) A. L. Basham
(B) Alison Bashford
(C) R. C. Majumder
(D) Satish Chandra
99. What were the two assemblies during the early Vedic period ?
(C) Samiti and Sangam
(D) Both (A) and (B)
(A) Both Harappa and Mohenjodaro are located on the banks of river Ravi (Irabati).
(B) Both Chanhudaro and Kalibangan were located within the boundaries of present day Rajasthan.
(C) Both Surkotada and Dholavira are located in the Kutchh region of Gujarat
(D) Lothal site was located on the bank of Narmada river.
WBCS Preliminary Question Paper – 2019
(D) Bodh Gaya
72. Who wrote Mrichhakatikam ?
73. Who among the following succeeded Samudragupta as the next ruler of the Gupta dynasty ?
(A) Chandragupta II
(C) Chandragupta I
74. The inscriptions of Ashoka and the Brahmi scripts were deciphered by
(A) Alexander Cunningham
(B) James Princep
(C) Max Muller
(D) Mortimer Wheeler
75. Which among the following places have given the earliest evidence of agriculture in Indian sub-continent ?
WBCS Preliminary Question Paper – 2018
105. Who was the writer of ‘Buddha Charita’?
111. Which among the following Harappan sites
is not located in Gujrat?
116. Which kingdom covered the modern Patna and Gaya districts of Bihar?
(a) Faxian [Fa Hien]
(b) Xuanzang [Hiuen Tsang]
131. Where did Gautama Buddha deliver his first sermon?
(a) Bodh Gaya
136. Who was referred to as ‘Sandrocottus’ in the writings of the Greeks?
(c) Chandragupta Maurya
(b) Chandragupta II
156. Who was the author of “Brihatsamhita”
162. Which historian is famous for his research on Ancient Indian History?
(a) Sathis Chandra
(b) Bipan Chandra
(c) Ram Sharan Sharma
(d) Amalesh Tripathi
167. Who assumed the title of ‘Gangaikondachola’?
(a) Rajendra I
(b) Rajaraja I
(c) Rajadhiraja I
(d) Kulotunga I
WBCS Preliminary Question Paper – 2017
86. Which of the following is a Harappan site located in Rajasthan ?
77. The Mauryan ruler who used the name ‘ Piyadasi’ in his official declaration was
85. Which Magadha ruler was known as ‘ Seniya”
87. The famous physician during Budhha’s time was
76. The author of ‘Kadambari ‘ was
78. The Chinese traveller Hiuen Tsang came to India during the reign of
WBCS Preliminary Question Paper – 2016
189. Who is considered as the father of Indian Archaeology ?
(A) Alexander Cunningham
(B) Gordon Child
(C) Mortimer Wheeler
(D) John Marshall
26. The decline of the Nandas at the hands of Kautilya and Chandragapta Maurya has been vividly portrayed in the Sanskrit Play.
(B) Devi Chandragupta
(D) Mudrarakshasa (Vishakhadatta)
27. The most famous Indo-Greek ruler of India was :
(B) Antiochus I
(D) None of the above
31. Which King founded the Vikramaslla University ?
(D) Ballal Sen
40. Who were the participants in the tripartite struggle in northern India from the 8th to the 10th Century ?
(A) Palas, Cholas, Pallavas
(B) Palas, Pratiharas, Rashtrakutas
(C) Cholas, Pratiharas, Rashtrakutas
(D) Palas, Cholas, Rashtrakutas
193. Rice cultivation is associated with the Harappan site of :
(C) Kot Diji
196. The Upanishadas were compiled around :
(A) 600 BC
(B) 800 BC
(C) 1000 BC
(D) 1600-600 BC
199. According to Buddhism the cause of all sorrows is :
WBCS Preliminary Question Paper – 2015
76. The author of Kadambari was
189. Which was the ancient port of Indus Civilization ?
193. Which of the following was a Buddhist genealogical text ?
WBCS Preliminary Question Paper – 2014
48. Which ruler was contemporary of both Buddha and Mahavira ?
67. Which was a major port of the Indus valley ?
84. Chandragupta Maurya was succeeded by
93. What was the policy of Samudragupta in the south ?
(B) Dharma Vijaya
(D) None of the above
112. The oldest Veda is
118. Sasanka belonged to the
(A) Pal dynasty
(B) Sen dynasty
(C) Gauda dynasty
(D) Kamrup dynasty
168. Alexander fought against Perus on the Banks of the river
176. Who is the author of ‘Indica’ ?
184. Taxila was the famous site of
(A) Early Vedic Age
(B) Gandhara Art
(C) Gupta Art
(D) Mauryan Art
WBCS Preliminary Question Paper – 2013
59. The great Bath was found in —
63. Who composed ‘Ai-hole prasasti’ ?
70. Buddha was born in —
(A) 523 B.C.
(B) 563 B.C.
(C) 623 B.C.
(D) 602 B.C
76. The first permanent home of the Aryans in India was —
81. Who of the following put up a stiff resistance against Alexander ?
(D) All of the above
85. In his inscriptions, Ashoka calls himself
(D) Devanampriya Priyadarsin
89. Which of the following Gupta rulers was known as Vikramaditya ?
94. In which year did Muhammad-bin-Qasim conquer Sind ?
(A) 712 AD
(B) 715 AD
(C) 718 AD
(D) 721 AD
98. How many times did Sultan Mahmud of Ghazni (1002 –1030) invade India ?
105. Who introduced Kaulinya system in Bengal ?
(B) Ballal Sen (1160 – 79)
(C) Lakshana sen
WBCS Preliminary Question Paper – 2012
48. Who composed the Allahabad Prasasti of Sumudragupta ?
67. In which ancient text you will find the earliest reference to the Varna System ?
(A) Manu Samhita
(B) Rigveda (Purusha Suktam)
(C) Atharva Veda
(D) Satapatha Brahmana
84. Who among the Gupta rulers was known as ‘Lichchavi-dauhitra’ ?
(B) Chandragupta II
93. Who was the Kaivartta chief who rebelled against the Pala ruler Mahipala II of Bengal ? [Varendra rebellion]
118. The Khalimpur Copper Plate inform us about the military exploit of Pala ruler
WBCS Preliminary Question Paper – 2011
27. The first metal discovered by man was
44. The main Buddhist religious texts are written in
(D) Ardha magadhi
58. Alexander stayed in India for
(A) 16 months
(B) 19 months
(C) 20 months
(D) 24 months
72. An important port in the time of Satavahanas was
103. Who was known as Amitraghata ?
110. Who issued the Nasik Prasasti (Inscription) ?
(A) Gautamiputra Satakarni
120. The Lion capital of currency notes was discovered from
(C) Bodh Gaya
160. Gopal was the founder of
(A) Pala dynasty (750–1174)
(B) Pallava dynasty
(C) Pratihara dynasty
(D) Chalukya dynasty
WBCS Preliminary Question Paper – 2010
48. To which period of Indian history did Aryabhatta and Varahamihira (Scientist and Mathematician respectively) belong ?
(A) Maurya period
(B) Gupta period (Vikramaditya)
(C) Pala period
(D) Delhi Sultanate
67. With the people of which country Harappan people carried trade ?
69. The oldest school of Indian Philosophy is
(D) Karma Mimansa
81. Who was Megasthenes ?
(A) Ambassador of Seleucus
(B) Prime Minister of Chandragupta Maurya
(C) A Greek pilgrim
(D) A Chinese traveller
86. Who was the author of Rajtarangini ?
(D) None of the above
WBCS Preliminary Question Paper – 2009
59. Who discovered the Indus Valley Civilization ?
(A) Sir Leonard Wooley
(B) V. S.Agarwal
(C) Rakhaldas Banerjee (1921-22)
(D) A. L. Basham
63. Which metal was unknown to the Indus people ?
70. During which period the Vedic Literature was composed ?
(A) 1000 B.C.
(B) 3000 B.C. – 2500 B.C.
(C) 1500 B.C – 1000 B.C.
(D) 1200 B.C. – 1000 B.C.
76. The word Aryan denotes
(B) A race
(C) Pastoral society
81. The “Tripitaka” was written in
85. How many Tirthankars were there in ancient India ?
89. Name the last Tirthankara
94. Who was the founder of the Nanda dynasty ?
98. Who in ancient India assumed the title ‘amitraghata’ ?
(B) Chandragupta Maurya
105. Who introduced the Saka era ?
(D) Kanishka (78-110)
116. When did the Mathura School of Art flourish ?
(A) Sunga period
(B) Satavahana period
(C) Saka period
(D) Kushana period
120. Who was the founder of the Gupta dynasty ?
(A) Chandragupta I
125. Which emperor has been called ‘Napoleon of India’ ?
(D) Chandragupta II Vikramaditya
129. Where was the capital of Sasanka ?
WBCS Preliminary Question Paper – 2008
28. Who wrote ‘Ramcharita’ ?
(C) Sandhyakara Nandi
(D) Tutsi Das
32. The Vikramasila-Vihara was founded by
(A) Mahipala I
34. Chandra gupta Maury defeated
48. Sulapani was a famous artist of the
(A) Kushana Period
(B) Gupta Period
(C) Pala Period
(D) Sena Period
59. Who was the Court poet of Samudra Gupta ?
WBCS Preliminary Question Paper – 2007
66. Who Was the Chola King to have conquered Bengal?
(B) Rajendra Chola I (1014-44)
(C) Rajendra Chola II
91. In which year was “Sakabda” started?
(A) 78 A.D.
(B) 58 B.C.
(C) 273 B.C.
(D) 420 A.D.
122. Which rulers introduced gold coins in India for the first time?
WBCS Preliminary Question Paper – 2006
78. Indus-valley civilization is called.
(c) Stone Age
(d) Iron Age
123. According to Ceylonese tradition Buddha’s Parinirbana took place in.
(a) 483 B.C
(b) 486 B.C
(c) 543 B.C
(d) 546 B.C
124. The Principal Sacred Book of the Buddhists is
(d) Astanga Marga
143. Charbak was the name of a
(a) Religions School of thoughts
(c) Science Scholar
182. Sandhyakar Nandi was
(a) Writer of ‘Ramcharita Kavya’
(b) Court poest of Chandra Gupta II
(c) Writer of Doha
(d) Medical practitioner
194. The ‘Ratha temples’ of Mahabalipuram were constructed in the reign of
(630-80, Pallava, Tamil nadu)
(a) Pulakeshin II
(b) Narasingha Varman I
(c) Raja Raja
(d) Rajcndra Chola
WBCS Preliminary Question Paper – 2005
118. Who is known as ‘Kunik’ in the history of India?
125. Surya-Siddhanta was authored by
129. Who among the following kings performed ‘AsvamedhYajna’?
(a) Pulakesin I
(c) Pulakesin II
146. Who was the founder of the Satavahana dynasty?
(c) Satakarni I
(d) Gautamiputra Satakarni
WBCS Preliminary Question Paper – 2004
41. Who was the first historical emperor of India?
(C) Chandragupta Maurya
76. ‘Fo-Kuo-King’ was authored by whom?
( Chandragupta II)
(C) Hiuen Tsang
81. Who was populary known as “Indian Machiavelli”?
(B) Nana Farnabis
(C) Abul Fazl
(D) Alivardi Khan
83. Who was the first independent King of Bengal?
(B) King Ganesh
WBCS Preliminary Question Paper – 2003
78. ‘Divya’ was the leader of the
(A) Kaivarta Rebellion
(B) Kol Rebellion
(C) Munda Rebellion
(D) Santal Rebellion
31. Asokan Brahmi was first read by
(C) R.L. Mitra
38. Sandhyakara nandi was the court poet of the
WBCS Preliminary Question Paper – 2002
27. Which of the following was not a part of the Tripitaka (three baskets)?
(B) Vinaya (350 BC)
(C) Sutta (300 BC)
28. According to Buddhist tradition Chandragupta Maurya belonged to the Moriya tribe of
37. Which of the following are true with regard to the Gandhara School of Art?
(i) Buddha’s figure appears here for the first time,
(ii) Its craftsmen used white stone to make images,
(iii) It was also known as Greco Buddhist Art.
(iv) Its figure were superior to Mathura School of Art.
(A) i, ii and iii
(B) i and ii
(C) i and iv
(D) iii and iv
38. Whom does the Gayatri mantra in the Rig Veda address?
54. The original name of the Seet which later came to be known as ‘Jaina’ was
68. The Kalinga war is mentioned in the(262 – 261 BC)
(A) 13th Rock Edict
(B) 12th Rock Edict
(C) Bhabru Rock Edict
(D) 8th Rock Edict
93. Who of the following were the first rulers to mamke land grants to the Brahmanas?
(D) Shakas and Kushanas.
95. The Indus Valley Civilization belongs to the
(A) Neolithic Period
(B) Paleolitihic period
(C) Mesolithic period
(D) Chalcolithic period
WBCS Preliminary Question Paper – 2001
23.The finest specimen of Pallava architecture’are
(A)Temples at Madurai
(B)Temples at Tanjore
(C) Kailashnath Temple at Ellora
(D) Rock-cut Ratha temples at Mahabalipurarn
63. The greatest scholar of Medical Science during Gupta Age
76. Buddhist doctrines are contained in
85. The most important source of information for the municipal administration of the city of Pataliputra in the Mauryan empire is
(D) Asokan inscriptions
108. Which of the following Gods does not belong to the Rigvedic period?
(A) Indra(B) Maruts
(C) Shiva(D) Aditi
166. Whose contemporary was famous grammarian Patanjali?
(A) Agni Mitra Sunga
(B) Pushya Mitra Sunga
(C) Vasudeva Kanva
(D) Gautami Putra Satakami
167. Chalukyas established their empire in
(D) Far South India
WBCS Preliminary Question Paper – 2000
72. ‘Sabha’ & ‘Samiti’ are two democratic institutaion of
(A) Rigvedic Aryan
(C) Hilly Trides of India
(D) Indius valley people
73. ‘Indica’ was written by
(C) Vincent Smith
74. ‘Allahabad Pillar’ inscription was penned by.
76. ‘Si-U-Ki’ was authored by
77. ‘Ankorvat’ was built by
(Combodia, 12th century)
(A) Chandragupta II
78. The famed mathematician of ancient India was
(D) Abul Fazal