Questions Paper – WBCS Prelims – 2019
69. Who built the Ibadatkhana at Fatehpur Sikri ?
70. Malik Kafur was general of
(A) Firuz Shah Tughlag
(B) Chandragupta Maurya
(D) Alauddin Khilji
Questions Paper – WBCS Prelims – 2018
(a) Man Singh
(b) Amar Singh
(c) Udai Singh
(d) Jaswant Singh
32) Who assumed the title of ‘Haindava Dharmoddharak’ [Protector of the Hindu faith]?
(a) Guru Ramdas
(c) Baji Rao I
(d) Balaji Baji Rao
46. Who founded the ‘Khalsa’?
(a) Guru Tegh Bahadur
(b) Guru Nanak
(c) Guru Govind Singh
(d) Guru Hargovind
144) Who wrote Kitab-ul-Hind?
174. Who broke the power of ‘Chahalgani’ nobles?
(a) Ghiyasuddin Balban
(d)Muhammad bin Tughlaq
178. Who introduced Market Control Policy?
(a)Firoz Shah Tughlaq
(b)Muhammad bin Tughlaq
186. Who among the following Hindus first joined Din-i-Ilahi / Tauhid-i-Ilahi?
(a) Man Singh
(c) Bhagwant Das
191. ‘Sati’ of Hindu women was prohibited during the reign of which Mughal emperor?
(b) Shah Jahan
197. Who completed the Qutab Minar?
(a)Qutab-ud-Din Bakhtiyar Kaki
Questions Paper – WBCS Prelims – 2017
79. The delhi Sultan who transferred the capital from delhi to Daulatabad ( Devagiri) was
Muhammad -bin Tughlaq
Firoz Shah Tughlaq
80. Which historian is famous for his research on Mughal History ?
Subhobhan Chandra Sarkar
81. Which Mughal emperor wrote his own autobiography ?
82. Sulh – i- Kul ‘ was a policy introduced by
83. Rana Pratap belonged to the Rajput Dynasty of
84. Ashtadiggajas’ were patronised by
Deva Raya I
Deva Raya II
Krishna Deva Raya
93. The Satnami rebelluion took place during the reign of Mughal emperor
98. Razmnama’ was a persian translation of
99. The author of ‘ Ain – I – Akbari ‘ was
Questions Paper – WBCS Prelims – 2016
34. Which of the following gives an account of Balban period ? (1266–1287)
Tarikh-i-Firoz Shahi (Balban to Firoz shah)
37. India’s earliest contact with Islam came through
Arab merchants of Malabar coast
( Muslim merchants settled in Kerala by the 7th century, Cheraman Perumal Juma Masjid,Malabar Coast, 1st Mosque)
44. The first Muslim incursions on Deccan occurred during the reign of —
Jalaluddin Khalji (1290-1296)
47. The remains of the Vijayanagar Empire can be found in – (1336–1646)
51. Who of the following became a member of the Din-Ilahi ? (1582)
(A) Raja Man Singh
(D) Raja Birbal
54. What was ‘Taccavi’ ? (MUḤAMMAD IBN TUGHLUQ)
(A) Loans to the Peasants
(B) A fertile category of land
(C) A tax on the Hindus
(D) Barren land
58. The official language of the Mughal empire was-
(C) Persian and the local language
61. Who introduced the Duh-Aspah Sih-Aspah system ?
(A) Shah Jahan
64. Todarmal is associated with the Revenue system known as –
(B) Ghalla Bakshi
Questions Paper – WBCS Prelims – 2015
26. Identify the Mughal painter not mentioned by Abul Fazl ?
196. Which among the following sultans of the Slave dynasty was not a slave ?
(A) Qutb-ud-din Aibak
199. During whose rule was the Zabt system of revenue settlement introduced ?
(A) Ala-ud-din Khilji
(B) Sher Shah
(D) Shah Jahan
Questions Paper – WBCS Prelims – 2014
43. The Mughal Emperor Shah Jahan died in
(A) 1658 A.D.
(B) 1659 A.D.
(C) 1662 A.D.
(D) 1670 A.D.
126. Who was the founder of the Bahmani dynasty ?
(A) Ala-ud-din Hasan Bahman Shah
(B) Muhammad Shah I
(C) Firoz Shah
(D) Ahmad Shah
147. Sufism reached India in the
(A) Eleventh century
(B) Twelfth century
(C) Fourteenth century
(D) Thirteen century
152. In which year the second battle of Panipat was fought ?
(A) 1605 AD
(B) 1707 AD
(C) 1757 AD
(D) 1556 AD
160. The centre of Portuguese power in India was
181. Who was the founder of the ‘Delhi Sultanate’ ?
(A) Muhammad Ghori
(B) Qutubuddin Aibak
(D) Ghiyasuddin Balban
193. Where is the tomb of Jahangir situated ?
196. Name the Maratha leader who put forward the ideal of founding Hindu Empire before the Marathas.
(A) Shivaji (1627-80)
(B) Balaji Viswanath
Questions Paper – WBCS Prelims – 2013
110. Who was the founder of the slave dynasty ?
(D) Qutab-ud-din Aibak
116. Who was Jalaluddin Mangabarni ? (1220 – 1231)
(A) Ruler of Afganistan
(B) Ruler of Persia
(C) Ruler of Mongolia
(D) Ruler of Khwarizm or Khiba
120. Who invited Babur to invade India ?
(A) Ibrahim Lodi
(B) Sikandar Lodi
(C) Daulat Khan Lodi
(D) Sher Khan
125. Who of the following became a member of the ‘Din-i-Ilahi ?
(A) Raja Man Singh
(D) Raja Birbal
129. What was the ‘Dam’ ?
(A) Copper coin introduced by Sher Shah
(B) Copper coin introduced by Akbar
(C) Copper coin introduced by Shah Jahan
(D) Copper coin introduced by Aurangzeb
135. Which Mughal emperor subdued the Portuguese in Bengal ?
(C) Shah Jahan
139. When did Siraj-ud-daullah ascend the throne ?
(A) 1707 (B) 1739
(C) 1756 (D) 1757
Questions Paper – WBCS Prelims – 2012
126. Who was the author of the book ‘Tarikh-i-Firuz Shahi’ ?
(A) Abdul Fazl
(C) Ziauddin Barani (1285–1357)
(D) Al Biruni
143. Who was Todar Mal ?
(A) A Minister of Sher Shah
(B) A revenue expert in Akbar’s court
(C) A Prince of Mawar
(D) An officer in Jahangir’s army
147. Who was the last ruler of Delhi Sultanate ?
(A) Alauddin Alam Shah
(B) Ibrahim Lodi
(C) Bahlul Lodi
(D) Sikander Lodi
152. Who was the Nasuruddin Chirag ? (1274-1356)
(A) A Sultan of the Khilji dynasty
(B) A Sufi Saint (poet Persian language)
(C) A minister of Giyasuddin Balban
(D) Amilitary officer in Alauddin Khilji’s army
160. Who was the Babar’s main adversary in the battle of Khanwa ?
(A) Mahmud lodi
(C) Rana Sanga
(D) None of them
164. Who among the following visited Jahangir’s Court ?
(A) Nicclo Conti
(B) Francois Bernier
(C) Sir Thomas Roe
(D) Athanasius Nikitin
170. Which Mughal Emperor transferred the Mughal capital from Agra to Delhi ?
(C) Shah Jahan
(D) Bahadur Shah
176. Who was the Mughal Empepor during whose reign Nadir Shah invaded India ?
(B) Bahadur Shah
(C) Muhummad Shah (1719-48)
(D) Shah Alam
Questions Paper – WBCS Prelims – 2011
61. ‘Baburnama’ was written by
(A) Abul Fazal (B) Firdousi
(C) Afif (D) Babur
74. Who introduced “Din-i-llahi” ? (1582)
(A) Firuz Shah Tughlaq (B) Muhammad Bin Tughlaq
(C) Kabir (D) Akbar
96. Who wrote Tahqiq-i-Hind ? (Kitabul-Hind, 1017-31)
(A) Al beruni (B) Al Biladari (C) Sulaiman (D) AI Masudi
111. Who was the last independent Sultan of Bengal ?
(A) Husain Shah (B) Ghiyasuddin Mahmud Shah (1533–38)
(C) Nusrat Shah (D) Illiyas Shah
112. Which of the following Delhi Sultans had set up a separate department of Slaves?
(A) Iltutmish (B) Balban
(C) Muhammad Bin Tughlaq (D) Firuz Shah Tughlaq
132. During the reign of which Sultan, Chinghiz Khan invaded India ?
(A) Iltutmish (B) Alauddin Khilji
(C) Ghiyasuddin Balban (D) Muhammad Bin Tughlaq
139. During the reign of which ruler Ibn Batuta came to India ?
(A) Akbar (B) Muhammad Bin Tughlaq
(C) Iltutmish (D) Alauddin Khilji
142. Which of the following Indian States that Akbar could not annex ?
A) Kashmir (B) Bengal
(C) Bihar (D) Assam
143. The Bahmani Kingdom and Vijaynagar Empire clashed frequently over the territory of
(A) Madurai (B) Warangal
(C) Malabar (D) Raichur Doab (between Krishna and Tungabhadra)
144. Who caused to build Qutb Minar in Delhi ?
(A) Qutbuddin Aibak (B) Iltutmish
(C) Balban (D) Alauddin Khilji
151. To which place did Murshid Quli Khan transfer his capital from Dacca ?
(A) Monghyr (B) Murshidabad
(C) Gour (D) Pandua
174. During whose reign the East India Company established their first factory in India ?
(A) Jahangir (B) Shahjahan
(C) Aurangzeb (D) Bahadur Shah-I
180. Which Sultan of Delhi brought one Asokan Pillar to Delhi ?
(A) Iltutmish (B) Alauddin Khilji
(C) Md. Bin Tughlaq (D) Firuz Shah Tughlaq
186. Which Muslim invader conquered Bengal during the time of Lakshmanasena ?
(A) Muhammad Ghori (B) Bakhtiyar Khilji
(C) Qutbuddin Aibak (D) Iltutmish
Questions Paper – WBCS Prelims – 2010
33. Who among the following Sultans of Delhi wanted to become Second Alexander and conquer the world ?
(A) Alauddin Khilji (B) Ghiyasuddin Balban
(C) Bin Tugluq (D) None of them
49. What did Iqta mean during Sultanate period ?
(A) A form of Salutation (B) An important official
(C) The grant of land revenue from a village or territory (D) None of the above
65. What is Ibadat Khana at Fatepur Sikri ?
(A) A magnificent building for residence (B) A house for religious discourses of all religions
(C) A house for eating (D) None of the above
79. Nadir Shah invaded India in the year
(A) 1738 A.D. (B) 1739 A.D.
(C) 1740 A.D. (D) 1741 A.D.
127. When did Chingiz Khan invade India ?
(A) 1211 A.D. (B) 1221 A.D.
(C) 1399 A.D. (D) 1526 A.D.
134. What is Adigranth ? (1604)
(A) A religious book of the Sikhs
(B) A book which gave the fundamental codes of human conduct
(C) A book which guided the rulers of medieval India
(D) None of the above
141. Shivaji’s coronation took place in the year
(A) 1672 A.D. (B) 1673 A.D. (C) 1674 A.D. (D) 1675 A.D.
158. Which officer was called Bakshi during the ruie of Akbar ?
(A) An officer in charge of town administration (B) Officer in charge of military organization
(C) An administrative/executive officer (D) None of the above
172. What was Khutba ?
(A) A sermon read in the name of the ruling king at Friday prayers
(B) An order issued by the king (C) A punishment given by the king (D) None of the above
181. Who of the following conquered territory in India and founded an empire in the name of his ancestors ?
(A) Humayun (B) Sher Shah (C) Babur (D) None of them
Questions Paper – WBCS Prelims – 2009
135. When did Ikhtiyaruddin Bakhtiyar Khalji invade Bengal ?
(A) 1194 A.D. (B) 1199 A.D.
(C) 1202A.D. (D) 1206 A.D.
139. Name one famous poet of the Delhi Sultanate who was adorned with the title ‘the Parrot of Hindustan’ .
(A) Ziauddin Barani (B) Utbi
(C) Alberuni (D) Amir Khasru
146. The battle of Tarain was fought between Muhammad Ghuri and
(A) Rana Sanga (B) Rana Pratap
(C) Prithviraj Chauhan (D) Rana Hambirdeva
150. Who introduced the Iqta system ?
(A) Muhammad Ghuri (B) Qutubuddin Aibak
(C) Iltutmish (D) Ghiyasuddin Balban
155. Who built the famous Adina Mosque in Bengal ?
(A) Iliyas Shah (B) Sikandar Shah
(C) Azam Shah (D) Hamza Shah
160. Name the Bengali poet who was conferred with the title ‘Gunaraj Khan’ in the Sultanate period
(A) Jnanadas (B) Govindadas
(C) Maladhar Basu (D) Chandidas
167. Who wrote Humayun nama ?
(A) Abul Fazal (B) Faizi
(C) Badaoni (D) Gulbadan Begum
172. Who introduced ‘Qabuliyat’ and ‘Patta’ ?
(A) Babar (B) Shershah
(C) Akbar (D) Shahjahan
176. Who was called ‘Zinda Pir’ or ‘living saint’ in Mughal India ?
(A) Babar (B) Akbar
(C) Shahjahan (D) Aurangzeb
182. Name the Sultan who introduced Rationing System in India
(A) Ghiyasuddin Baioan (B) Alauddin Khalji
(C) Muhammad bin Tughlaq (D) Firuz Tughlaq
Questions Paper – WBCS Prelims – 2008
29. Who was defeated at Kanauj in the hands of Sher Shah in 1540?
(A) Babur (B) Akbar
(C) Humayun (D) Jahangir
31. Amir Khasru was the Court Poet of
(A) Balban (B) Alauddin Kholji
(C) Ghiyasuddin Tughluq (D) Akbar
33. The founder of the Bahamani kingdom was
(A) Alauddin Mujahid Shah (B) Ahmad Shah
(C)Alauddin Bahaman Shah (D) Tajuddin Firuj Shah
35. Who was the last independent Nawab of Bengal ?
(A) Siraj-ud-Daulah (B) Mir jafar
(C) MirKasim (D) Najm-ud-Daulah
55. The Gurumukhi script was introduced by
(A) Guru Amardas (B) Guru Ramdas
(C) Guru Angad (D) Guru Nanak
Questions Paper – WBCS Prelims – 2007
77. Who among the Maratha peshwas followed the ideal of “Hindupadapadshahi”?
(A) Baji Rao I (B) Balaji Viswanath
(C) Narayana Rao (D) Madhab Rao
78. Who founded Sikhism?
(A) Gobind Singh (B) Ramdas
(C) Nanak (D) Hargovind
97. Who founded independent Sultanate of Bengal?
(A) Ilias Shah (B) Murshid Quli Khan
(C) Hussain Shah (D) Alivardi Khan
102. Who was the General of Sher Shah?
(A) Brahmajit Gaur (B) Dilir Khan
(C) Shayestha Khan (D) Jaising
115. Who was the Hindu Saint to have as disciple both Hindus and Muslims?
(A) Sri Chaitanya (B) Ramanuja
(C) Rabidas (D) Namdev
126. Who was known as “the Parrot of Hindusthan” ?
(A) Amir Khasru (B) Malik Muhammad Jaisy
(C) Roy Vanmal (D) Purandar Khan
136.Who was among the Mughal Emperors, the “Zinda Pir” to the Sunnis ?
(A)Aurangzeb (B) Akbar
(C) Babar (D) Humayun
141. Who wrote “Akbarnama” ?
(A) Abul FazI (B) Faizi
(C) Shaik Mubarak (D) Tansen
142. Who was called, “the Akbar of Kashmir” ?
(A) Zainul Abedin (B) Hussain Shah
(C) Balban (D) Sujauddoullah
147. Who was the Muslim general to have conquered Bengal in 13th century AD?
(A) Afzal Khan (B) Iktiaruddin-bin-Baktiar-Khilji
(C)Chenghiz Khan (D) Temuchin
158. Who converted Sikhs into a martial race?
(A) Arjundev (B) Gobind Singh
(C) Hargovind (D) Teg Bahadur
177. Who was the Sikh Guru to be slaughtered by Aurangzeb?
(A) Ramdas (B) Teg Bahadur
(C) Arjundev (D) Gobind Singh
181. Who was the first ‘real king’ of Sultanate?
(A) Qutubuddin (B) Iltutmish
(C) Balban (D) Alauddin
183. Who has been described by elites as “the Akbar of the Sultanate” ?
(A) lltutmish (B) Balban
(C) Aluddin Khiljii (D) Firuz Tuglak
Questions Paper – WBCS Prelims – 2006
186. The Third Battle of Panipat was fought between.
(a) Marathas and Afghans (b) British and Rohillas
(c) Sikha and Jats (d) Pathans and Satnamis
188. The First Battle of Panipat took place in
(a) 1500 (b) 1510
(c) 1520 (d) 1526
191. ‘Babarnama’ was written by
(a) Abul Fazl (b) Firdousi
(c) Afif (d) Babar
192. Shivaji was succeeded by
(a) Shambhuji (b) Shivaji II
(c) Raja Ram (c) Tara Bai
196. The author of Futuh-Us. Salatin is (1311, court poet of Ala-ud-Din Bahman Shah)
(a) Barin (b) Isami
(c) Nasru (d) Batutha
197. The opponent of Akbar at the Second Battle of Panipat was
(a) Abdul Lohani (b) Himu
(c) Jainhand (d) Daulat Khan
200. Who among the following did introduce the ‘Dokani’ currency?
(a) Balban (b) Iltutmis
(c) Rajiya (d) Md.-bin-Tughlaq
Questions Paper – WBCS Prelims – 2005
45. In which year was the battle to Talikota fought?
(a) 1556 (b) 1565
(c) 1571 (d) 1581
62. Who wrote Kitab-ur-Rehla
(a) Ibn Batuta (b) Al Beruni
(c) Hasan Nizami (d) Abul Fazl
87. Who first introduced rationing system?
(a) Iltutmish (b) Alauddin Khalji
(c) Muhammad-bin-Tughlaq (d) Ibrahim Lodi
95. Lilabati was translated into Persian by (1587, Akbar)
(a) Faizi (b) AbulFazl
(c) Dara (d) Abu Talib Kalim
121. Who wrote Amukta Malyada?
(a) Bukka (b) Harihara II
(c) Krishnadev Roy (d) Bir Narasingha
122. Under whose orders the Mahabharata was translated into Bengali?
(a) Alauddin Hossain Shah (b) Jalaluddin
(c) Nusrat Shah (d) Haji Iliyas
Questions Paper – WBCS Prelims – 2004
56. Which Mughal emperor granted Diwani to the English East India Company?
(A) Bahadur shah II (B) Shah Alam II
(C) Farrukh Sever (D) Zehander Shah
93. Who described the din-i-llahisa “the monument of Akbar’s folly”?
(A) V. A. Smith (B) Elliot
(C) Badaoni (D) Faizy
96. “Ram Rahim ek hai. nam dhara hai do”- who preached during the sultanate?
(A) Sri Chaitanya (B) Kabir
(C) Nanak (D) Dadu
158. Ibn Batuta came to India during which ruler’s reign?
(A) Akbar (B) Muhammad bin Tughlaq
(C)Iltutmisb (D) Alauddin Khilji
Questions Paper – WBCS Prelims – 2003
48. Woman folk of which region performed the rite of Jawhar?
(A) Malwa (B) Gujarat
(C) Rajputana (D) Bengal
68. Who was defeated in the hands of Mahamud Ghori in the Battle of Tarain in 1192?
(A) Prithviraj Chauhan (B) Jaichand
(C) Dahir (D) Pulakesin II
88. In 1498 Vasco da Gama landed at the port of
(A) Calicut (B) Surat
(C) Masulipatam (D) Cochin
98. Who among the follouying rulers was a slave in his early life?
(A) Alauddin Khalji (B)Muhamad Bin Tughlaq
(C) Ghiyasuddin Balban (D) Firujshah Tughlaq
108. Shri Krishna Vijaya Kavya was composed by (1500)
(A) Chandidas (B) Vidyapati
(C) Maladhar Basu (D)Joydeva
Questions Paper – WBCS Prelims – 2002
52. What does the word ‘Iqta’ stand for?
(A) Law of Primogeniture (B) Crown lands donatad to army officers
(C) Stater’s share of 1/3 of the spoils of war (D) The grant of revenue from a territory in lieu of salary
75. The Sultanate Coins Jital, Shasgaini and Tanka were made of
(A) Copper, Silver, Silver (B) Gold, Copper, Lead
(C) Silver, Gold, Copper (D) Silver, Gold, Silver.
85. Who said following lines, “Let us strike at the trunk of the withering tree and the branches will fall by themselves”?
(A) Baji Rao – I (B) Shivaji
(C) BalajrViswanatfa (D) Nana Phadnavis
170. Abdur Razzaq visited the Kingdom of (Vijayanagara in 1440)
(A) Muhammad-bin-Tughluq (B) Alauddin Khalji
(C) Shamsuddin lliyas Saha (D) Devaraya-II
171. Krisnnadeva Ray a wrote his famous work Amukryamaiyada in
(A) Telugu (B) Kannada
(C) Tamil (D) Malayalam
172. With whom of the following did Shivaji sign the Treaty of Purandharin 1665 A. D.?
(A) Shaista Khan (B) Afzal Khan
(C) Jaisingh (D) Prince Muazzam
Questions Paper – WBCS Prelims – 2001
29. Sher Shah died while attacking
(A) Mandu (B) Raisin
(C) Marwar (D) Kalinjar
73. Among the Turkish who made the first attack on India?
(A) Mahmiid Ghaznavi (B) Sabuktagin
(C) Alptgin (D) Abdul Wahid
86. Who among the following historians described the invasions of Mahmud Ghaznavi of India as jihads (holy wars)?
(A) Al-Beruni (B) Henry Elliot
(C) Jafar (D) Utbi
103. Lodhi Sultans of Delhi were
(A) Turkis (B) Persians
(C) Arabs (D) Afgans
109. The ruler of one of the following states entered into matrimonial alliance with Akbar was
(A) Jaipur (B) Ranthambhor
(C) Marwar (D) Mewar
123. To which Sufi orders did Saikh Nasiruddin Chirag-i-DelhL belong?
(A) Chisti (B) Suharwardi
(C) Qadiri (D) Naqshbundi
133. What did the Sikhs mean by Misl?
(A) A tax (B) An area conquered by them
(C) A political unit (D) A Book
Questions Paper – WBCS Prelims – 2000
82. The Muslim sant of medieval India worshipped by Hindus & Muslims was
(A) Kabira (B) Nijamuddin Aulia
(C) Salim Chisti (D) Shaik Qutubaddin
83. “A triumph without result” is the epithet for
(A) Arab conquest of Sind (B) Muslim conquest of Bengal.
84. Who said, “Hindus & Muslims are pots of the same clay”?
(A) Nanak (B) Kabir
(C) Chaitaanya (D) Tulsidas
87. Who was the Muslim Sultan regarded by Hindus as ‘Jagadgure’
(A) Akbar (B) Yusuf Adil shah (Bijapur)
(C) Jainal abedin (D) Hussain Shah
88. Who was called ‘grandfather of Anndhra Poetry”?
(A) Peddana (B) Arbidu
(C) Krishnadeva Rao (D) Bhaskar Pandit
90. What is the ‘Dastak’?
(A) A Book by Ciive (B) A free pass
(C) Permission to trade without tax (D) Donation by the Mughal emperors.