wbcs main ancient history questions
WBCS Main Question Paper – 2019
(A) Discovery of a dockyard
(B) Rectangular and circular fire alters for animal sacrifice
(C) Depiction of a ship on a seal
(D) Evidence of the use of the plough
52. Who was the propounder of the Ajivika Sect?
(A) Purana Kassapa
(B) Pakuddha Kaccayana
(C) Makkali Gosala
(D) Alita Keshakambalm
54. Lands, during the post-Gupta period, were classified on the basis of
(A) Being cultivated and uncultivated
(B) Being irrigated and unirrigated
(C) Crops being grown on the lands
(D) All of the above
WBCS Main Question Paper – 2018
101. Which one among the Harappan sites was probably a trading outpost meant for procuring lapislazuli?
b) Musa Khel
d) Damb Sadat
102. The Kandahar Edict of Asoka
was written in
d) Both Aramaic and Greek
103. The centre of Sangam literature and the patrons of Sangam poets were
a) The Cheras of Vanji
b) The Cholas of Uraiyur
c) The Pandyas of Madurai
d) All of the above
104. The theory of the emergence of feudalism in the post Gupta period is disputed on the ground that
a) all the lands donated were not secular land grants.
b) the status of the peasants was not that of serfs.
c) the brahmin donees did not always belong to the ruling class.
d) All of the three above
WBCS Main Question Paper – 2017
1. Who is the author of the Book “Asoka and decline of the Mauryas” ?
(A) D. N. Jha
(B) Romila Thapar
(C) R. S. Sharma
(D) A. L. Basham
2. Who composed the Aihole Inscription ?
(D) None of the above
3. King “Chandra” of Mehrauli Iron Pillar inscription has been identified with
(A) Chandragupta Maurya
(B) Chandragupa I (Gupta)
(D) Chandragupta II (Gupta)
4. The ruins of Harappa were first noticed by
(A) M. S. Vats
(B) M. Wheeler
(C) B. B. Lal
(D) Charles Mason
5. Both Lord Buddha and Mahavira died in the reign of
(A) Purana Kassap
(B) Pakudha Kaccayana
(C) Makkaii Gosala
(D) Ajit Kesakambalin
7. Which of the following is not a representative of the Buddhist art ?
8. Which of the following periods was considered by Gordon Childe as a period of “revolution” ?
9. Among the Bronze Age Civilizations which one was undoubtedly the largest in extent ?
10. The urban centers of the Harappan Civilisation faded out around –
(A) 2200 BC
(B) 2100-2000 BC
11. The most prominent deity in the Rigveda was
12. Which of the following areas were viewed as impure by the later Vedic authors ?
(D) All of the above
13. The most celebrated river in the Rigveda was
(C) Sindhu (Indus)
14. Which geographical region of India witnessed the maximum concentration of the Mahajanapadas in the 6th century BC ?
(A) North India
(B) Godavari valley
(Q Malwa plateau
(D) North-West frontier of the subcontinent
15. Which one of the following events of Buddha’s life did not take place on a full moon day (Purnima) ?
17. In the long history of domestication of animals, according to Wenke which was he earliest animal to be domesticated ?
18. Microliths are typical of
(A) Paleolithic Age
(B) Mesolithic Age
(C) Neolithic Age
(D) Chalcolithic Age
19. The earliest evidence of settled agriculture in the subcontinent comes from
20. In which State of India Ataranji kheda is situated ?
(B) Madhya Pradesh
21. The first Indian rulers to issue gold coins on the Roman pattern were
22. Which of the following 7th century Chinese travelers lived for ten years in the great monastery of Nalanda ?
(B) Hiuen Tsang
23. Which of the following is considered to be the earliest Indian text on music ?
(A) Krishna Yajurveda
(B) Atharva Veda
(C) Sama Veda
(D) Purusha Shukta
24. The earliest known stone tools in the Indian subcontinent have been discovered from-
(A) Potwar plateau in Pakistan
(B) Hungsi Valley (Karnataka)
(C) Didwana (Rajasthan)
(D) Bhimbetka (M.P.)
25. The oldest deciphered script of the Indian subcontinent.
26. In the Buddhist context, which one refers to texts that are supposed to contain what the Buddha himself said ?
27. There are Four Vedas and each Veda has _____ parts.
28. Rummindei pillar of Ashoka is put up to mark Buddha’s
(C) First Sermon
30. Name the author of ‘Panchatantra’ and ‘Svapna-Vasavadatta’.
46. Which style of architecture was developed by the Chalukyas of Badami ?
51. Which dynasty described itself as the ‘Brahma-Kshatriya’ ?
52. The dynasty which Harshavardhan belonged to was
54. By whom was the kulinism (system of nobility among Brahmins and kayasthas) in Bengal started ?
65. By whom and when the Gupta era was started ?
(A) Kumargupta I in 324 CE
(B) Srigupta in 309-10 CE .
(C) Chandragupta l in 319-320 CE
(D) Samudragupta in 324 CE
66. Who among the following was the first to describe Sudras as a class of agriculturists ?
(B) Fa Hien
(C) Hiuen Tsang
67. Which of the following Gupta rulers is said to have embraced Buddhism towards the end of his life and also founded the Nalanda University ?
(D) Kumaragupta l
70. Which Chalukya ruler is credited with repelling the Arab invasion of South Gujarat ?
(A) Vikramaditya I
(B) Pulakesin I
(C) Pulakesin ll
(D) Vikramaditya II
WBCS Main Question Paper – 2016
1. Who was the ruler of Taxila when Alexander’s army crossed the Indus in 326 BC ?
(A) Porus (Puru)
(D) None of these
2. Who tells us that ‘India’ (Indus Valley) was the 20th and most prosperous satrapy (province) of the Persian empire ?
(C) Fa Hien
3. On the basis of evidences emerging from the site of Kodumanal the beginning of urbanization in Tamil Nadu goes back to –
(A) 800 BCE
(B) 500-400 BCE
(C) 300 BCE-200 CE
(D) 200 CE
4. Name of which Indian ruler is inseparably associated with the first known International treaty made in Indian history ?
(A) Mahapadma Nanda
(B) Chandragupta Maurya
5. Name the historians who have rejected the idea of a marriage alliance between Chandragupta Maurya and Seleucus –
(A) Vincent Smith
(B) H.C. Roychoudhury
(C) H P. Shastri
(D) B.N.Mukherjee and Romila Thapar
6. Which of the following pairs is not correctly matched ?
(A) Diodorus Siculus – Bibliotheca Historica
(B) Strabo – Geography
(C) Anrian – lndica
(D) Claudius Aelianus – Naturalis Historica
7. Which of the following major rock edicts of Asoka are in Prakrit language and Kharosthi scrips ?
(C) Both (A) and (B)
8. Haribhadra, the famous Buddhist author was at the court of –
20. Who was the founder of the Chalukyas of Badami ?
(A) Vikramaditya I
(B) Pulkesin I
(C) Kirtivarman I
21. Which of the following kingdoms was referred to as ‘Ruhmi’ by the Arab merchant Sulaiman ?
22. Which of the following is / are the well-known ancient geographical epithets of India ?
(D) Both (A) and (B)
23. The earliest use of the term ‘Hindustan’ appears in which inscription of Sasanid ruler Shahpur I ?
24. Which period of Indian history has been designated by Romila Thapar as ‘Threshold Times’ ?
(A) BCE 200 – 300 CE
(B) CE 300 – CE 600
(C) CE 300 – CE 800
(D) CE 600 – CE 1300
25. Which civilization was undoubtedly the largest in extent among the Bronze age civilizations ?
(A) The Harappan civilization
(B) Egyptian civilization
(C) Mesopotamian civilization
(D) Roman civilization
26. Which archaeologist has recently contested the identification of impressive brick-built structure at Harappa as a ‘Granary’ ?
(A) R.E.M. Wheeler
(B) Bridget Allchin
(C) Raymond Allchin
(D) J.M. Kenoyer
32. Which of the following was not a regional headquarters in the Maurya empire ?
33. To whom was the Lomasa Rishi cave in the Barabar hills (near Gaya) donated by Asoka ?
(A) Ajivika monks
(B) Jain monks
(D) Shri Lankan Buddhist monks
34. The history of ancient Indian trade rightly begins from the ____ period.
(B) Later Vedic
35. At which of the following Ports have a sizable Roman settlement and a Roman factory have been discovered ?
(B) Muziris or Mushri
36. Seaborne trade between India and Rome received great impetus during the reign of Roman Emperor –
37. Who considered the Harappan crafts “technically the peer of the rest” among products of the Bronze Age ?
(A) Gordon childe
(B) Shereen Ratnagar
(C) R.S. Bisht
(D) Asco Parpola
38. By whom was the most significant commentary on the Rigveda composed in the medieval Period in the Vijayanagar realm ?
40. Name the chief of the Rigvedic Bharata tribe who fought against a confederacy of ten tribes (in the battle of 10 kings)
42. Which Rigvedic river is known as Ravi and also as Iravati ?
43. The earliest reference to the division of society into four strata occurs in which of the following texts ?
(A) The Purusha-sukta of the Rig Veda Samhita
(B) Yajur Veda Samhita
(D) Manu smriti
44. Which of the following were the most prominent monarchical mahajanapadas during the age of the Buddha ?
(A) Vajjis or Vrijis
(B) Kosal and Vatsa
(C) Avanti and Magadha
(D) All listed in (B) and (C)
46. During the post-Maurya times, elaborate vedic sacrificial rituals like the Vajapeya, Rajasuya and Aswamedha were regularly performed by the rulers of
(A) North India
(B) The Deccan
(C) Both North India and Deccan
(D) Chola dynasty
47. Which school of Art flourished in the region between the lower valleys of Krishna and Godavari during 2nd Century BCE – 3rd Century CE ?
(A) Gandhara School
(B) Mathura School
(C) Nagarjuna School
(D) Amravati School
48. Navanityakam of the Gupta period was a book on
49. Who among the following dynasties were the first to transfer all sources of revenue to the Brahmans ?
50. Mandsor pillar inscription of the early 6th Century CE belongs to
39. Which of the following statements is not correct ?
(A) The Rigveda consists of 1028 hymns (Suktas)
(B) The Rigveda is divided into ten books (mandalas) of unequal sizes.
(C) The Rigveda is a monolithic text.
(D) The Rigveda is, not a monolithic text and consists of several literary layers.
41. Which of the following areas were viewed by the later Vedic authors as impure and far away from the heartland of the Vedic culture ?
(A) Anga (Eastern Bihar)
(B) Magadha (Southern Bihar)
(C) Vanga (in the Ganga delta)
(D) All of the above
45. Which Magadhan ruler launched final military assault on the Gana rajyas of Kasi-Kosal with the help of new weapons like rathamushala and mahasilakantaka ?
WBCS Main Question Paper – 2015
161. Which of the following Rig Vedic Gods is said to be the upholder of the Rita or Cosmic Order ?
162. Which one of the following tribal assemblies has normally involved in the election of the tribal chief ?
163. ‘House burials’ are reported from :
(A) Gufral in Kashmir
(B) Ghaligal – in the northeast
(C) Uleri in Almora
(D) Balathal in Rajasthan
164. Which of the following were the main items of export of the Indus people ?
(i) Gold and Silver
(ii) Cotton goods
(iii) Terra cottas
Select the answer from the codes below
(A) ii, iii and v
(B) i, iii and iv
(C) i, ii, iv and v
(D) All of them
165. Who among the following archeologists has been claiming that he was successfully deciphered the Indus script, though others have not accepted the claim ?
(A) MEM Wheeler
(B) Gordon Childe
(C) K. M. Srivastava
(D) S. R. Rao
166. According to the latest excavations, Manda is the ______ site of the Indus civilization ?
(A) Northern most
(C) Eastern most
(D) Western most
167. Which one of the following types of Harappan pottery is said to be the earliest example of its kind in the world ?
168. The Harappan bricks were mainly
(A) Sawn with the help of a saw-like instrument
(B) Made in an open mouId
(D) Cut with the help of a chisel
169. Where do we find the three phases, viz. Paleolithic, Mesolithic and Neolithic Cultures in sequence ?
(A) Belan Valley
(B) Krishna Valley
(C) Godavari Valley
(D) Kashmir Valley
170. Which of the following is not a principal tool of the Early Stone Age ?
175. When were the Silkworms introduced into the Byzantine empire from China, adversely affecting India’s already declining foreign trade ?
(A) 451 AD
(B) 551 AD
(C) 615 AD
(D) 351 AD
176. Kalidasa’s work include
(i) Abhigyana Sakuntalam
(vi) Kumara Sambhava
Select the answer from the codes below –
(A) All of them
(B) i, ii, iii and iv
(C) i, ii, iv, v and vi
(D) i, iii, iv and v
177. Which one of the following was the meeting ground for the Brahmanical and devotional religious levels ?
179. Which of the following is the main reason for the development of towns in the Harappan period ?
(A) Development of Science and technology
(B) Development of Arts and crafts
(C) Growth of Trade and commerce
(D) Increase in Agrarian surplus
180. Which one of the following has not been mentioned as ‘asineva’ in Ashokan inscriptions
(A) Greed and passion
(B) Cruelty and anger
(C) Pride and fury
(D) Envy and revenge
181. Who was the Bacterian King that invaded India in about 182 BC and wrested a considerable part of the North West ?
182. Who among the following started the general use of stone for monuments ?
(A) Chandra Gupta Maurya
183. ‘Just as for my children, I desire that they should enjoy all happiness and prosperity both in this world and the next. So for all men I desire the like happiness and prosperity’. This is stated in –
(A) Barabar Cave Inscriptions
(B) Minor Rock Edicts
(C) Tarai Pillars
(D) Kallinga Inscriptions
184. According to ‘Rajtarangini’ Ashoka’s favorite deity was
185. Which of the following statement is incorrect ?
(A) Kautilya was Chandragupta’s guide and mentor
(B) Chandragupta was succeeded by his son Bindusara
(C) Chandragupta was known to the Greeks as ‘Amitrochates’, the destroyer of foes
(D) Chandragupta is said to have died of slow starvation in south India
186. Which of the following sources describe the Mauryas as belonged to the Sudra Varna ?
(D) European Classical Writers
187. Which one of the following sources states that Srinagar was built by Asoka ?
(A) Kalahana’s Rajtarangini
(C) Taranatha’s History of Tibet
188. Who among the following was not a Greek Ambassador staying at the Mauryan Court ?
189. Kontakasodhanas of the Mauryan period were
(A) Royal treasuries
(B) Civil courts
(C) Criminal courts
(D) Police stations
190. The hereditary soldiers of the Mauryan period were known as
WBCS Main Question Paper – 2014
51. At which of the following places has the largest belt of painted rock shelter of pre-historic period been found ?
52. Official stamping of weights and measures and their periodical inspection are prescribed by
53. The Kharosthi script derived from
54. Name the class which is conspicuous by its absence from the list of seven classes given by Megasthenes
55. The Gold coins of the Gupta dynasty were known as
56. The language of the Jaina religious text was
57. Which of the following sources states that Srinagar was built by Asoka ?
(C) Taranath’s History of Tibet
58. Rummindei pillar of Asoka is put up to mark Buddha’s
(C) First Sermon
70. The name of our motherland ‘Bharata’ was first mentioned in
(A) Vishnu Purana
(B) Vayu Purana
(C) Markendaya Purana
(D) Matsya Purana
71. We know about the Bactrian Greeks only from
72. Who introduced Gold Coins in India ?
(A) The Mauryas
(B) The Kushanas
(C) The Greeks
(D) The Cholas
73. Who was Minandar ?
(A) A Parthian king
(B) A Bactrian Greek King
(C) A Saka King
(D) None of the above
74. Who wrote Milindapanha ?